We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orthodontist on the west side?

US
Level Contributor
239 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Orthodontist on the west side?

So on the plane ride here my daughter had her bracket on her very back tooth fall off so the wire back there is loose and poking her cheek. No fun for vacay time. While we can wait until we get home to have her bracket attached, I was really hoping we could pop into a local orthodontist so they could snip the wire so she will be comfortable the rest of the trip. No luck here in Hilo. Every place I called either won't help since she's not a patient there or the one that sounded helpful will not have their orthodontist in until after we leave. Any recommendations for the west side? She's just using wax for now, but that's no fun when you eat and snorkel.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
15 replies to this topic
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

I would call her regular Orthodontist first. Most dentists don’t want to touch another dentists work. But, if you cantact your Ortho he/she can refer you to someone and then they will see you.

Good luck!

US
Level Contributor
239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

Yeah our regular Ortho hasn't been too helpful unfortunately. They are a corporate chain who was great until they go bought out by a different chain mid treatment. Anyway since they don't have locations here they have not been much help. I'm really hoping someone can just snip the wire which is not anything that interferes with treatment.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

A dentist can snip the wire. I had the same thing happen to me. Maybe a dentist, instead of an orthodontist, will help you.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

That's annoying for her, for sure! I also wouldn't worry about trying to see an ortho. There are a couple of dentists right on the main drag in Waimea; hopefully one of their offices can do a quick emergency snip. Or go to Ace, get some small pliers, and snip it yourself. Yep!

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

call or go to emergencydentistusa.com 1(888)420-6826. They were really helpful when my brother-in-law needed one in South Carolina and their website says they cover the big island.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

I was thinking DIY, too.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,537 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

Yes, it’s not likely to get an immediate emergency appointment with a more specialized aspect of dentistry. People can wait for weeks with emergencies here. Waimea would seem to be the most convenient if you can find a dentist with an available time slot or who will work you in.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

Waikoloa Dental can usually fit people in pretty quickly.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
513 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

I know several orthodontists and dentists in Kailua Kona but I don't know if you'd want to come down here. If you would, pm me and I'll give you their names.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Elko, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Orthodontist on the west side?

I've had this happen a bunch of times with my kids. The orthodontist just told me to snip it myself.I just used small wire cutters.They just left the wire to long.

Reply to: Orthodontist on the west side?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted