We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
5 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling

I noted that suggestions say one should have good hiking shoes, plenty of water and even long pants for weeds and grass for the hike up and down the hill. I read where one person had a mongoose get in their backpack. What tips are out there for securing a backpack from theft or varmints on shore while one is snorkeling. Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2018, 02:32

Granby, CT
Level Contributor
49 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling

Thank you for your insight! I've been back and forth about a snorkel trip here as I have read that it is wonderful snorkeling but would love to hear alternatives from you - first, because I would rather go somewhere that we won't have a negative impact and second because the trip I'm looking at is expensive and our budget has been tweaked with the eruption as our alternative lodging has come out more expensive than the Namakanipaio cabins in VNP.

What beaches would you recommend we visit for snorkeling, if you don't mind sharing? Thanks!

3. Re: Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2018, 02:32

Novato
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling

Thank you for the info. Will be checking them out.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling

It's a very steep, hot hike down to Ka'awaloa and back up. It's not a scenic hike. There are no facilities along the trail and none at the bottom, so the shore area has a lot of human waste and toilet paper; not very inviting. There are much better snorkeling areas, as Shea notes, that are much easier to access.

That said, two of my little grandsons like to sell lychee and lilikoi-ade at the top of the trail, and I wouldn't want to negatively affect their revenue stream by telling people not to go there :-)

Edited: 07 June 2018, 10:26
Reply to: Hiking to Kealakekua Bay Snorkeling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;