We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona in December? Or switch islands?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kona in December? Or switch islands?

My family has a house booked over Christmas in Kona, on a coffee plantation. It looks very nice, pools, fruit trees, etc. But, the more I read about Kona and vog I am wondering if we should stay put or try another island. I think time is running out to find a house for 9 in our budget over Christmas. So, if we're going to make a change it will have to be soon. I guess I would like to know what the Kona area is like in a typical December? I know we can't predict what it will be like with recent events.

I have read so many posts and gone online, but I just don't know what to do!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
21 replies to this topic
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

Do what makes you feel comfortable and makes you able to sleep at night. Your comfort is what matters.

California
Level Contributor
7,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

Volcano/Vog issues aside because no one know's what will happen, really the only place in the state of Hawaii that doesn't have a normal winter weather pattern including slightly cooler temperatures and possible rain is the Kohala Coast area of the Big Island. Everywhere else can be hit or miss. Plenty of people go to Hawaii in the winter and have great weather but at the same time many don't or at least they have a mix.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

I'm curious where this place is that you have booked. Can you link to the listing?

Regardless of the current reality, I prefer the Kohala Coast (more reliable weather & air quality; less crowded, less traffic). But a house that can accommodate nine people would cost a small fortune, especially over the holidays. So if you do move, you'll want to consider two places next to each other. Let us know dates & a nightly budget if you want help with it.

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

I have to say that I'd switch but not to another island rather to the Kohala Coast. Coffee country will be cooler, foggier/voggier and far away from most places you will want to visit. But one place for nine will cost so as suggested above maybe two condos in the same complex within Mauna Lani or Waikoloa Beach Resort. There are houses for sure in Mauna Lani that will offer great access to the beach and a better location than coffee country. Which is worth a visit during your stay but not someplace I would stay

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa Beach Resort
Waikoloa Beach Resort
289 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
US
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

We struggled with this too. We moved our lodgings to the Kohala coast where we are right now and it's wonderful. We also spent a few nights in Hilo which was lovely. I'm so glad we didn't cancel or move islands. We thought about switching to Maui and on our beach walk this morning we were talking about how glad we were didn't switch becuase our resort is the only one in sight here at Hapuna Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,097 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
California
Level Contributor
7,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

Smart decision!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kailua-Kona
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

717Jen - can you tell us where exactly you're staying? Kona is a big area. The winter months are my favorite time of year in Kailua Kona, the days are usually clear and sunny from November until the spring. Of course, we don't know what the vog situation will be then.

Surpisingly, today is a beautiful day here with clear skies and a bright blue ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

Thanks for the replies. I guess it might not be completely in the coffee area, it says its 12 minutes or less from Kona.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

Frankly, sounds like it currently has vog. December? I would guess bad air. We are thinking about not coming in January, first miss since 1990.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 04:03
Canada
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kona in December? Or switch islands?

Honu_Ohana, I`ve been renting in Keauhou in January as part of my Island winter stay for several years now. I`ve switched those plans north, but have booked my ticket for January as usual. I`m looking forward to being on the Island again!

Mentioned in this post
Hilo Honu Inn Bed and Breakfast
Hilo Honu Inn Bed and...
216 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: Kona in December? Or switch islands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted