We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
507 posts
43 reviews
Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

My husband is traveling alone and meeting my family that are staying in Fairway Villas Waikoloa.

He doesn't want to rent a car since he won't need it once he meets with family. Was curious how much will be the cab ride or uber ride from KOA to the Waikoloa area.

TIA

10 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

As far as I know, Uber can't pick up at KOA. Laura's Taxi is $66 from KOA to the Hilton.

~ Colleen

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
175 reviews
2. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

Just wondering why family can't come get him? :)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
507 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

Hi Analise83 - hahah because we're already all going to be in Oahu at the end of the month for 2 weeks. Then my husband goes to BI in Aug for golf.... meeting my family that's also traveling to BI for golf... (rolling my eyes) LOL We all wish we can go again. Wish we can just go every month! That would be the life!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
507 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

And with all the deals going on now for all airlines in Aug going to HI, he didn't think twice to grab it. haha

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
175 reviews
5. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

I meant if the family is there, they have a car, right? Why can't they meet him at the airport?

Sorry, just nosy. :)

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
507 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

LOL no worries... and I actually misread your post. I thought you asked "why can't family go with him"..

we jsut didn't want to bother them. If uber is about $60 - $70 from KOA to Waikoloa, I'm going to look around for a car rental even for a couple of days. Or maybe my family can just pick him up we'll see...

Thanks.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 06:28
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
2 posts
134 reviews
7. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

Maybe a little late on the response, but it is about 23 miles to the airport, from memory so about 50 dollars....ish

Not sure if UBER is active. If your husband did get a cab or UBER would be great to know as I prefer UBER and have a trip planned. Also how much it really was :)

There are a couple of car rental companies at the Hotels so if he wants to get a one way rental that works.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 15:02
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

This is an old post and the OP's husband has been and gone, but it hits a pet peeve of mine.

Please don't assume that there will be parking for that second or third car that you rent. Many places in Waikoloa Beach Resort have parking for one car. That's it. There is no on street parking to find. Please double check, wherever you are staying that there is parking for the number of cars you are bringing.

John M, Uber can't pick up at the airport. I tried Uber in WBR when they first started operating and over the course of 3 months, could never find an available vehicle. Maybe they're better now.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
2 posts
134 reviews
9. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

Thanks. I travel nearly every year to that area. Love it of course. I come from the UK so a heck of a trip and sometimes we split the journey with a stay in Dallas or LAX. No stop over next time so my blood alcohol level will be dangerously high for any kind of activity let alone driving. Uber would be great, but a cab is OK. I will grab a car the day after for the duration of trip

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,342 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are

John, Speedi Shuttle also serves Waikoloa (Kohala Coast). For one person, it may be less than a cab, if you want to compare.

I believe that the taxicab union has secured an agreement that Uber cannot pick up at KOA (if anyone has a more precise explanation I would welcome it). You can be dropped at the airport by Uber.

Unions have a lot of political clout in Hawaii.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 10:08
Reply to: Taxi or Uber from KOA to Waikaloa Are
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted