We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North of Kona air quality?

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
North of Kona air quality?

We are supposed to stay at the Fairmont Orchid in a couple weeks. Son has asthma that is usually pretty easy to control. Have tried looking at nearby Hilton webcam re laze and couldn’t tell if it was that far north. I saw posted on a forum a gif showing typical wind patterns this time of year swinging around the eruption area up toward the area we are talking about but not significantly. Anyone local know what’s up further north near the Fairmont?

It’s our 5th anniversary and we stayed there for our honeymoon so I’d like to go but also don’t want bad air to make things hard on my son. Thanks!! FYI- United isn’t offering refunds for upcoming flights for some reason even though they were doing so two weeks ago. Not sure what changed. The hotel website says everything is peachy. Not sure what to believe!

Mentioned in this post
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
4,610 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
16 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North of Kona air quality?

Check out the Hualalai / Waikoloa / Mauna Lani vog discussions - they will provide some valuable insight. The situation is pretty much the same now, as when this was discussed previously. No one can predict what conditions will be like in a couple of weeks.

The Fairmont is further up the Kohala Coast than the FS Hualalai and is part of the larger Mauna Lani Resort complex.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60608…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60872…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60872…

Edited: 08 June 2018, 23:27
Mentioned in this post
Hualalai Grille
Hualalai Grille
168 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
321 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North of Kona air quality?

AQI for that area is generally good. It very occasionally drops to 'moderate', for example this morning it seems to be there with an AQI of 58 being reported at Mauna Lani right now on Purpleair.com (I'm not sold on the quality of their sensors, but they have more sensors than anyone else and the only place with sensors near your planned location).

Moderate: "for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution."

Still better AQI than most big cities and industrial areas - and this is about as bad as it is likely to get. Most days it's under 5 there.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,577 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North of Kona air quality?

Yes, there are hosts of topics here addressing this ~ thanks to Free-to-Wander for linking a few of them. As Mike said, the air quality on the Kohala Coast is generally good. I just bumped a topic containing links to island web cams, too. Fwiw, I wouldn't hesitate in your situation to travel as planned.

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North of Kona air quality?

Yay! Thank you! I wasn’t sure what the different coasts in the three threads referenced so this is perfect. 💜

US
Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North of Kona air quality?

We're are a bit north of there at Hapuna and the air and weather and been lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,193 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kona
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North of Kona air quality?

The nature of the vog pattern is that the further north on the Kona-Kohala coast you go, the less vog you will encounter.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North of Kona air quality?

I had similar concerns as OP, particularly since I'm pregnant and decided to go anyway given the reports that Kohala vog conditions are generally good. We arrived at the Fairmont yesterday and have been at the beach all day today enjoying lovely weather. Compared to this morning, I do notice that it appears a little hazy if you're looking off into the distance but the air seems fine and we are unaffected. You have to do what's right for your family, but I'm glad we came.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,216 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: North of Kona air quality?

The purple air site is showing orange and yellow levels even for Kohala Coast/Waikoloa Village areas today and yesterday afternoon. The webcams are quite hazy. I've been looking at the webcams/air sites for the last week and noticed Kohala coast has had quite a bit of Vog this week. I'm hoping this isn't the new normal. Where are the tradewinds? We were planning on coming but if this pattern continues, may have to very sadly cancel and just deal with the loss of $. Hoping it clears up!

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
70,044 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North of Kona air quality?

Trades are due back tonight. I sure wouldn't cancel a Kohala-based trip based on some vog days, 'cause you could get those anywhere. South Maui has vog today too.

Are you vog-sensitive? Or just concerned about views and such? Many people, even those with asthma--don't have problems with lighter amounts of vog.

Others (like me, NOT asthmatic) have problems with it regardless of the concentration. It's one reason I live in NW Maui, not south Maui!

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,216 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North of Kona air quality?

Trades have picked up this morning. The Kohala Coast has been quite clear this week, except for yesterday.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: North of Kona air quality?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted