We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

Woodbury, Minnesota
8 posts
Save Topic
where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

First time on the BI with my wife. Looking to stay on the west end(8 days). will make one, possibly two trips east. Looking to stay in waikoloa village vs kona. Have found multiple condos for less than $1200. Will arrive end of october; like to snorkel and hike. Also obviously interested in volcanic activity, whatever that may look like this fall. Any plus or minuses to either location

all thought appreciated

53 replies to this topic
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

I expect by "Kona" you likely mean condos on Ali'i Drive in Kailua-Kona (Kailua town in North Kona district?) More amenities nearby in Kailua, usually worse vog conditions (bothers some, really bothers some sensitive groups, others like me no problems) Ali'i drive is closer to the ocean, but likely a long walk or short drive to any water. Waikoloa village is definitely a drive to any beaches. The best hiking is in VNP (currently closed due to the changes at the summit, ymmv later in the year), but it's a big Island and lots of places to hike all over.

I'd be (and have been in the past) quite happy in either location. I suspect the biggest question is how sensitive you are to vog.

Columbia, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

We are here now staying in Vista Waikoloa condo and it is a perfect location. Went to down to Kona in 20 minutes, up to north Kohala in 20 minutes. There is a whole row of great beaches within minutes. Kings and Queens shops are super convenient for anything you need. Thanks to Shea and KK in helping me plan because I would not have had the same experience otherwise. Personally, I would not have been happy at all in Kona.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

You want Wailokoa Resort (includes Vista Waikoloa and others) on the coast, not Waikoloa Village 6 miles up the mountain.

Stanwood, Washington
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

And also include Mauna Lani in your possible north end searches. As many who know kona can tell from my user name i am a kona guy. vog does not bother my family or me (the old vog variety) we will see June 26 if the new reality changes that assessment. After years of living and visiting (and swearing by) kona we spent 16 days in mauna lani last year. It was summer. I thought it was great, hot, beautiful, windy, close to beaches, isolated, resorty and expesive. This year as a compromise with my wife and 2 teen boys we are splitting weeks between Kona and Mauna Lani. By the way I will be contributing more now.

d c
Van Wert, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

I agree with most that the Waikola and north area would be your best bet.

Please note that “Waikola” could be one of 2 areas about 15 minutes apart.

Waikoloa Beach is the home of big name resorts such as Marriott and Hilton, plus upscale condos. You’ll be on or near the ocean. If this is your first BI visit, this is where you’ll want to stay.

Waikoloa Village is a small, laid back community about 6 miles north and up from Waikoloa Beach. Several very nice condo groups, mostly surrounding the golf course. You’re 15 minutes or less from several of the best beaches on the Big Island.

We’ve escaped to the BI for the past 8 years. We spent the first 3 in the Waikola Beach area, then moved “up the hill” to Waikloa Village.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 22:16
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

Very insightful Konamakai

I, for one, enjoyed reading your post.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 22:56
Kona
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

The Kohala Coast is by far the better coastal destination. That's where the beaches are, and the almost always vog-free air.

By the way, "Kona" is not the name of the main town in the Kona districts. That is Kailua-Kona. Kona is comprised of two large districts that run from a little north of the airport all the way south almost to Ocean View, so to talk about staying "in Kona" means you could be anywhere within that huge area.

The other issue regarding Kailua-Kona is the traffic, both north and south of town. I'd avoid it if possible; I certainly do!

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:24
Columbia, Illinois
Level Contributor
73 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

Yes, the traffic was pretty bad there around the airport.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

I prefer the openness & decreased traffic of the Kohala Coast, and its proximity to places & things I enjoy (beaches, historic parks & heiaus, North Kohala, hikes, town of Waimea). I enjoy whiling away a few hours at a time in Kailua-Kona, but a night or two there would likely be enough for me. I most enjoyed it in winter, when there was virtually no vog. The other times I've been there it was voggy and consequently gray & drab, as compared to the Kohala Coast. It's like erasing a mantle of gray, driving from the Kona Coast up north.

If you share links to rentals you're interested in, we can offer more specific advice.

~ Colleen

Woodbury, Minnesota
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village

thanks for all the replies. Looks like the consensus is to stay in the waikoloa area. We will probably end up in the village vs the resort based on cost. Also is it possible to travel and explore the hilo area and back in a single day or do you advise to stay a night of two on that side. We have done kannipali to hana a few times without problems. It is a long day but works for us. thanks

Reply to: where to stay west side. kona vs waikoloa village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted