We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for fish ponds at Mauna Lani

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Parking for fish ponds at Mauna Lani

We will be on island in a couple of days and would like to go to the fish ponds and beach areas near Mauna Lani. Can anyone suggest the best place to park? It looks like there is a public parking lot at Kalahuipua’a Park, but I think I saw something about how it can get very hot on the trail to the fish ponds. Are there any alternatives? If not, we'll plan accordingly...just thought I'd check. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for fish ponds at Mauna Lani

I love walking through Kalahuipua'a Historic Park. It's a short walk, so not as if you're hiking for an hour to get to the beach, and the scene is lovely. The alternative is to have one person drop the others off at the beach club/Napua (right at Makaiwa Bay), then park & walk over.

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Napua at Mauna Lani Beach Club
Napua at Mauna Lani...
619 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Camarillo...
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for fish ponds at Mauna Lani

Thanks Colleen! I don't remember where I saw the post before, but it made it seem like some scorching, horrible long walk. I guess maybe they weren't looking around them to appreciate the scenery! :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,285 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for fish ponds at Mauna Lani

It is over lava and unshaded a lot of the way, soit can be hot. But as notedit is fairly short. How easy and pleasant depends if you are dragging a ton of stuff. A lot of people seem to.

Be sure to see the lava cave shelter.

cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
527 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for fish ponds at Mauna Lani

We have schlepped snorkel gear, chairs, umbrella and a small cooler many times from the parking area on our way to Makaiwa Bay. It's not too bad, but does get a bit hot in the open lava path section that maybe takes 10-15 minutes depending on your pace. It's much cooler once you reach the palm grove shaded Kalahuipua'a fish pond paths.

Reply to: Parking for fish ponds at Mauna Lani
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted