We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

I'd appreciate insights about which of these Mauna Lani condos to pick for the second week of our Big Island vacation at the end of July. We're spending first week in Waikoloa and were supposed to stay second week at a friend's house near Pahoa, but that's no longer an option (house is OK, but not areas around it).

Decided it's safest to stick with South Kohala area....

So we've narrowed it down to a condo in Mauna Lani Palm Villas:

https://www.vrbo.com/859794

Or one in Mauna Lani Islands:

https:/…

We're leaning towards the one in Palm Villas because it seems to have easier beach access (walking.... we like to walk). But Islands unit is obviously higher end. We don't really *need* that but I just wanted to check that there's nothing we're missing ;)

We have active 11- and 14-year-olds who love to explore and want to be at the beach a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,201 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
13 replies to this topic
M C
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

I stayed in palms villa a week ago. Nothing special. Its not that close to the beach. Trust me it's Much easier to drive to the beach club. The Townhouse is nice. Especially in hot humid weather air circulation is better.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

And on the other hand, I stayed at Palm Villas last month and never once drove to the beach club. I appreciated the proximity to Makaiwa and loved walking, at least once a day, through the lava park and fishponds out to the water. It's also an easy walk over to The Shops. I really like the layout of that particular unit that you're considering.

The Islands is definitely higher end, and in a sense it's just "next door" to Palm Villas. But that extra distance would make a difference to me, in terms of walkability. I'd much prefer to be at PV, right by Kalahuipua'a.

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
The Shops At Mauna Lani
The Shops At Mauna Lani
195 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

Are there any major differences in amenities (pools I guess is the one thing we’d be using quite a bit) between the Villas and the Islands? Landscaping maybe? I’m an avid gardener and always appreciate well cared for landscaping ;)

CA
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

I have not stayed at either property but it's a no brainer for me. In the first review for The Palm Villas David C. mentions that the upstairs people were noisy. I have had very noisy inconsiderate neighbors above me before, never again. Top floor or townhouse from now on. My two cents.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

Oh man....looking at the 2 units you link for consideration....M3 at Islands for sure would be my pick.

It is incredibly more open both inside and for sure on the outside. The views you will have from the bedroom level lanai will be magnificent. It is unbelievable what even a 2nd floor perspective can give you.

When I am deciding on a unit, not only the complex is in play, but the specific unit's location within the complex. Island's M3 is perfectly located within the complex, nice open green space just off the lower level lanai. The unit's fit and finish is incredibly lovely.

As to the Palm unit, it is nicely styled, but being a lower level center unit, the lanai is incredibly closed in.... paired with the rather close proximity of the background plantings.....not conducive to a feeling of openness or possibly good air flow.

Most of these complexes were built in the middle of the lava fields, and much of the outcropping of the lava remains...some of it in close proximity to the outdoor spaces of various units. Some times the lava is piled up high, thereby obstructing any views. Sometimes you can detect in a photo...not always

Either way...Islands...hands down. Good pricing for that unit too!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,417 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

Islands is older, well built, lots of landscaping. Close to Shops and an easy imho walk to hotel thus to beaches. Or drive to the Makaiwa lot.

Pick the unit you like best.

Mentioned in this post
The Shops At Mauna Lani
The Shops At Mauna Lani
195 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

Reading Wanderlust's input and looking again at the pics, I agree the Palm Villas unit has the potential to feel closed in. Having a sense of openness is important to me; top floor or townhouse is much better in that respect, too. With kids especially, a townhouse is great. Last summer, by the way, I stayed at a Kulalani (at Mauna Lani) townhouse when I had my sons along, and it was ideal for us.

~ Colleen

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

We just spent 3 weeks of our trip at The Islands. It is a gorgeous property. The condos are huge. The pool was in the process of upgrading. I’m sure they are done or almost done with it. We almost bought at Palm Villas, so am familiar with it. Islands by a landslide.

Karen

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

This is the Islands condo we stayed at https:/…

Just for comparison.

Karen

seattle
Level Contributor
48 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos

I just spent 11 days at 3 BR Palm Villas on 2nd floor. We had unfortunate timing of painting of our bldg (A) starting the day we came and concluding the day we left. I assume they will have gotten through them all by then. Painters tried to be considerate but nothing like stepping out on your deck for a moment in a towel and having a guy unexpectedly jump on your deck to paint. 😱 I was most disappointed in the small size of the deck or in your case, patio. Stayed in Golf Villas which had little bit bigger deck & The Point with amazing spacious deck. The quality of Palm Villas can vary based on the updates but overall they are average and not spacious or in any way luxurious. The walk is not that close. My husband ran there every day as part of his route but would never walk there sclepping our towels, snorkel gear etc. We drove to beach every day - that is why we must always stay in Mauna Lani. Public can take the trail but only those staying inside Mauna Lani get access to park at the Beach Club. The Point is closer than the Palm Villas to walk and we almost always drove. I find it too warm & too tired after long snorkels to walk back uphill and then to our condo. The Palm Villas pool was great though. I normally never even go to the pool but had injury so went there to read and relax later in afternoon after the beach and it’s very nice with waterfall & beautiful landscaping. I will not ever return to Palm Villas and plan to work extra to pay for The Point for our 4th trip. They spoiled for all other condos in Mauna Lani.

Reply to: Deciding between two Mauna Lani condos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted