We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

3 posts
Save Topic
Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

We will be going to the Island of Hawaii in January. It will be 6 of us, grandparents, parents and 2 kids (8 and 4). We'd like to stay in a condo within a resort, so we have amenities of pools and restaurants but also the option of cooking our own meals and staying in one large 3 bedroom space. A few years ago we did this at Honua Kai in Maui, but I'm not familiar with Hawaii. Also not sure which area of the island we should stay in.

In short, we are looking for a good beach, nice resort (4 - 5 star) with a villa or condo. Any suggestions? Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

You'll want to stay on the Kohala Coast, at either Waikoloa Beach Resort or Mauna Lani Resort, both of which have a number of properties. The resorts are essentially next door to one another, and each has a different vibe & atmosphere. Let us know your nightly budget and we can give you some ideas.

~ Colleen

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

Thank you so much for your response! We'd like to stay in a nice place. Budget is between $500 - $800/night.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,562 posts
463 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

Try VRBO. We booked a lovely condo in Mauna Lani for our multi generational family. It has plenty of space, 3 bedrooms and in your budget range

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

If you want a nice place , go to Kolea at Waikoloa Beach Resort.

There are 3 or 2 bedrooms condos, very up-scaled, with BBQ on lanai, close to beach and shopping centers. That is actually the best condo complex in Waikoloa Beach resort, based on location within WBR and overall properties quality.

Check on VRBO; you can book couple of condos for your group there.

https://www.vrbo.com/results?q=Kolea%2C+Waikoloa+Village+%2C+HI%2C+USA&to-date=&from-date=&uuid=

Edited: 13 June 2018, 08:00
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,562 posts
463 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

ive sent you private message with a link

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

I would check out VRBO listing 501195. My husband and I visited it in person last September checking it out for a future multi-gen trip. We also stayed at Honua Kai in a 3BR and while this listing is a home in a gated community it is unbelievably well-equipped for families. Multiple bikes, helmets, boogie boards, a huge toy closet, the list goes on.

Since it was not rented the week we were on the BI the owner Lynn was able to show us the property inside and out. It is exceptionally clean and well stocked with everything. We loved that it has its own pool as well as quick access to the community pool.

I believe the community is called Ka Milo. It is super close to a grocery and to the shopping center where Tommy Bahama is (can’t remember name).

As soon as we figure out our dates we can’t wait to book it.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

We did a multigenerational trip last summer and it was glorious! The kids and grandkids still talk about it every day. You can read my trip report for some ideas or ask questions here or by PM. Everyone is helpful and very knowledgeable here and enjoy sharing so don’t hesitate to ask.

We rented separate condos next door to each other and it worked out perfectly. Ours were in Kailua Kona, our preferred area, but I see others have given you lots of good information for the Kohala area. Have a wonderful and memorable trip!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

Have a look at The Point and Terrace complexes (Mauna Lani Resort property), both of which have a few 3-BR condos, and aside from hotels and private homes, are about as close as you can get to ocean/beachfront on the Kohala Coast. We’ve stayed in units at both complexes, and with your group, would probably recommend the Terrrace for its central location.

We’ve also been and/or stayed in condos within the Hualalai and Mauna Kea resorts’ properties, so I wouldn’t discount those as possibilities, though they’re not often recommended here. Generally very upscale and nice, but not as well located to dining options, and in your budget range, a drive to the nearest beach.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

We loved the Palm Villas at Mauna Lani. We had 7 in a 3 bedroom, and it worked great (our trip was multi-generational as well).

Plus it was so easy as we were within walking distance of the beach and the shopping center. If you need to haul a lot of gear, it's a 2 minute drive with parking. Also, it had a lot of grass area for the kids to run around, and there is a great pool as well.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?

We just stayed here. https:/…

It is wonderful!

Reply to: Multi generational trip to Hawaii - Where should we stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted