We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!

Just returned from eight wonderful days on the BI and Kohala Coast. Maybe it's early in the season, but we experienced no crowds. Seems fairly obvious that the tourism industry is taking a hit from concerns about eruptions and vog. Spent every day at the beach, and enjoyed every minute of it. The best for us - by far - was Waialea Beach (Beach 69) for its abundant shade, sand, and plentiful fish. We actually spent two days there (arrive before 9 due to limited parking). Parking is $5/day and also good for nearby Hapuna Beach. Witnessed sea turtles sunning themselves at Anaeho'omalu Beach (and gave them a very wide berth). Even had a wonderful laid-back dinner at the very fun Lava Lava Beach Club there one night as we were staying nearby in a condo at Hali'i Kai (Unit 15F has stunning oceanfront views). Hali'i Kai is recommended for being very quiet - the oceanfront pool is lovely and great for kids. They even have a full bar and grille right there. Night snorkeling with the Manta Rays at Mauna Kea is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, IMO. James and Martina are amazing at what they do in terms of conservation and explaining everything in detail. We also did a kayaking/snorkeling excursion with King Kayak out of Keauhou Bay near Kona. Kevin is a solid guide and was very patient with us newbies, taking us to a sea cave and allowing us ample time to snorkel. I would recommend Dramamine if the surf is up since two in our group struggled with nausea. IMO, Kailua-Kona is not worth your time - traffic is crazy and it just doesn't have a nice feel. If you have time, venture up to charming Hawi along the northern coast and then return along winding Kohala Mountain Road. The quaint farms and emerald meadows with grazing livestock is an out-of-Hawaii experience. The views of the Kohala Coast are breathtaking. There is a very good shave ice place in Kawaihae called Anuenue Ice Cream & Shave Ice. We drove out of our way twice to go there! The tropical hike at Akaka Falls was worthwhile as was stopping to see Rainbow Falls (go in the morning to possibly see a rainbow if it's sunny). As for dining, Merriman's in Waimea was superb and Kona Brewing's lunch was exceptional - as were the draft offerings! Too bad I had to drive or we could have sampled even more of their tasty brews, LOL. Don't miss the breakfast at the Mai Grille at Waikoloa Beach (at the golf clubhouse). Bennett only works on Sundays, and he is a wonderful conversationalist (ask him about Nebraska football)! Kids will have a blast spotting mongoose and wild goats while out and about. Lastly, we didn't experience any negative health effects due to vog, thank goodness (although I understand others have). I feel for them. Maybe we got lucky. Had three pretty hazy days - reminded me of a bad smog day in LA. And our hearts go out to the folks affected by the eruptions. We hated to miss Hawaii Volcanoes National Park this trip, but that's nothing compared to losing everything to Madame Pele. Mahalo nui loa!

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waialea Beach
Waialea Beach
266 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,192 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Lava Lava Beach Club
Lava Lava Beach Club
5,019 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
732 Reviews
Maui, HI
Manta Restaurant
Manta Restaurant
329 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
267 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Keauhou
Keauhou
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawi
Hawi
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Mountain Road
Kohala Mountain Road
155 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kawaihae
Kawaihae
Island of Hawaii, HI
Rainbow Falls
Rainbow Falls
3,206 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Merriman's
Merriman's
1,755 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Hawaii Volcanoes...
7,270 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
5 replies to this topic
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!

>>> If you have time, venture up to charming Hawi along the northern coast and then return along winding Kohala Mountain Road.<<<

Enjoyed your trip report.

I do enjoy going Hawi as well. This past Sunday I did the drive as you described. Always fun. Glad you enjoyed.

While HVNP is closed it is still fun to see the glow from the activity from afar in the nights sky. Last night the glow was powerful and full of earthly energy. I’m amazed how many locals are checking it out at night.

I enjoyed perusing your report. Glad you had a fun time.

Mentioned in this post
Hawi
Hawi
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Mountain Road
Kohala Mountain Road
155 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!

Super! I know when I was over in May you were looking forward to your trip. Can't believe you've already come & gone! Very glad to hear you had a nice time; thanks for sharing.

~ Colleen

Seabrook, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!

You mentioned being able to see the glow. Could you elaborate on good locations to visit in order to see this? We will be arriving on island July 4th and are beyond excited.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!

Thank you for your trip report! Isn’t the Big Island amazingly beautiful! We also love Hawi! Waialea Beach is also one of our favorites. One of the few on the Kohala that has shade so it’s a big plus for my shade living hubby.

I’m sorry you didn’t like my happy place...Kailua Kona, where we stay 1-2 months every year, but glad to hear you enjoyed your boating experience to the sea caves. How cool are they??!!

Edited: 13 June 2018, 11:51
Mentioned in this post
Hawi
Hawi
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waialea Beach
Waialea Beach
266 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,215 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
321 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!

The best glow lately is in the village of Pahoa in the evening where you can see the glow of the current eruption at Fissure #8 off in the distance.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: TR from June 2-9 - Amazing time!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted