We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I Add Another Island or Not?

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Should I Add Another Island or Not?

Hi,

Kind of confused here. Originally I wanted to do a condo for six nights in Poipu, but now I am concerned that my girlfriend might not have enough shopping and nightlife. That being said, should I maybe just do 5 days in Kauai and add 2 days in Oahu so that she can get her fix of shopping and nightlife? or is that a waste and i should stick to Kauai for the whole trip? If I did, should I do Oahu at the beginning or end of the trip? She's never been to Oahu and she hasn't been to the BI either to see the volcano, but I think that requires more time. Im looking to keep it at around 7 days max. The only thing I would be interested in seeing is the north shore. I took her to Maui for her first time to the Hawaiian Islands. I have been to Kauai before and most of the others also. For me personally, I could easily spend the whole time in Kauai. Thanks in advance TA family!!!

Rob

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,748 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

Count your nights. Six total? And you want to take one night on Waikiki. I don't think that is really worth the effort. If you really want her to have some serious shopping time, she needs a full day. Two nights sounds more reasonable to me, and you'll enjoy Waikiki as well, BTW. I can't imagine that there is nothing in Honolulu of interest to you. But that leaves you only 4 nights in Poipu. Tough decision. Truly ... talk with her. Most of us don't recommend splitting up such a short trip, but if you are flying in and out of Honolulu, carving off a couple nights wouldn't be too bad.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

If shopping and nightlife and a must, then 2 days on Oahu would probably make some sense. Kauai is wonderful in so many ways, but shopping and nightlife are probably not 2 of them.

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

If I were to add Oahu, would I be better off doing 3 days on Oahu and 4 days in Kauai? or should would it be best to do 2 days on Oahu and 5 days in Kauai? Remember, I've been to both. She has never been to either. Also, should Oahu go at the beginning of the trip or at the end? Thanks BLBL and kimocat.

Rob

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,748 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

Again, count your nights. Two nights on Oahu ... with at least a full day for shopping ... Four nights in Poipus. She'll get a taste for each.

Are you flying in and out of Honolulu??

We can help her with the shopping.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,916 posts
1 review
5. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

Do you get into HNL early in the day? If so, maybe she can do some power shopping that day , and the next day, and then take a late flight over to Kauai. In other words, 1 night/2days on Oahu.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

It's hard for me to understand why someone from San Francisco would need to power shop in Hawai'i. Certainly don't need the big name boutique retailers as they are in SF too.

That leaves shopping for souvenirs, art, jewelry, island clothes. If clothes, she should do it at the beginning, and no doubt she can find them on Kaua'i. I think souvenirs is best left to the end grabbed as one sees them, and the most fun jewelry isn't necessarily found by popping in some big jewelry store, but often finding some special earrings or something at a little fair or roadside stand or farmer's market is more fun and makes more memories. There are plenty of places to get cute things on Kaua'i.

Shopping in Waikiki is fabulous if you come from another country or a rural area, but you don't. When I came over to Kaua'i from the Bay Area, I popped into some of the funky little shops like one I remember in Hanalei, and that was enough for my shopping fix. I wanted something I couldn't buy at home.

I would do no more than two nights Waikiki, and I'd do them at the end. You don't want to lug bags of shopping to and from Kaua'i on the inter-island, do you?

btw, you are a gem of a boyfriend to consider this for her ...

Edited: 18 September 2010, 08:45
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,748 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

Rob - I think you are very sweet and considerate.

Rob didn't say "power shopping."

Shopping is a form of leisure for some. A sport for others. Perhaps a special occassion or holiday would be coming up that necessitated shopping. Who knows? The Ala Moana Shopping Center is great fun to browse, have lunch, etc. I like to explore the Japanese department store. If Rob's sweetie would like to shop in Hawaii - cool. Kauai - not the best island for shopping.

And the nightlife - Waikiki excells.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
8. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

I concurr with KK's conclusion on spending the first four nights on Kauai and the last two on Oahu but for different reasons...

There is no area in The City which comes close to comparing with the shopping along Kalakaua Ave., which is now one of the top retail and dining districts in the world. And, there is Ala Moana Center closeby too.

She will be amazed with the shops available from funky to the very top-of-the-line, and the nightlife is great.

I would go to Kauai first, so you can get your fix and she can relax before she discovers Waikiki. She may find Kauai somewhat boring and be unhappy if you go to Waikiki first.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

LOL, amberloo ... ouch.

First, so you guys know where I'm coming from -- I love to shop, and on any trip I make I will take some time to do it. Not a shopping despiser.

Now that I've lived on a Neighbor Island for awhile, Ala Moana is like a candy store for me. However -- all of these world class brand type stores are in San Francisco. I went to fashion design school next to Union Square, and shopping and pricing was my homework, or some of it. Add what is in SF to what's across the bay in Marin, Oakland, Berkeley, and you have so much diverse shopping.

If you have that at your fingertips you do not need to go to Waikiki to get most of what's sold there. You don't need to go to Waikiki to get that buzz of going in a really high end store.

If you simply like to go in stores and look at wares, you can do that on Kaua'i, The Big Island where I live is no shopping mecca, but I bet there are 200 stores aimed at visitors that I would never set foot in because of the prices. Surely there are some retail areas in Kaua'i that offer such options. How many stores does it take to make even an ardent shopper feel like she got her fix?

Like I said, if you are coming from Japan or Australia to shop here, it's different. It's a mission! This is a vacation.

However, if GF is a big city girl who loves the bright lights big city scene the most and doesn't appreciate the country, by all means take her to Oahu. I can't tell enough about her personality from the description.

I mean, I like to shop, and I used to go out dancing all the time, but I could find "nightlife" in a tiny country bar in the middle of nowhere, and shopping at a local crafts fair, and be happy.

Maybe what would be helpful is a list of types of stores GF would wish to shop at on her trip, and description of what type of club or bar or show will make her happy.

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
10. Re: Should I Add Another Island or Not?

KK..

Certainly many (but not all) of the high-end shops on Kalakaua Ave can be found in the Bay Area, over like a 30 mile radius. In Waikiki, they are all within a few blocks. Nothing like that in The City since Market Street took a dive in the late 60s.

Even Rodeo Drive can no longer compete.

Plus there are all kinds of art galleries, surf shops, souvenier, jewelry and Hawaiian funk stores that are not found anywhere else but Waikiki. Not to mention the IMP (dive) experience, the only Shirokiya store left in the world (at Ala Moana), and that nearby Ward Center and Ward Warehouse have many unique shops.

Edited: 18 September 2010, 11:07