We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My prayers have been answered

California
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
My prayers have been answered

I was excited to know Alaska was breaking into the OAK/LIH market (good for me because I was sick of going to SFO and flying United) but I didn't like the flight time they departed. It was something like 5PM and wouldn't get me into LIH until after 10PM. Add on a drive to Princeville and that is a late night for this traveler.

Well, I just booked my May trip ($317 R/T...woo hoo) and they have changed the flight schedule. I now depart at 7:50am. It gets into LIH at 10:40 AM. That is such good news for travelers besides me. The return leaves at 2:30 which is also good news. At least I have the morning to meet pzp for pancakes!!!! lol

The only bad thing is I can't be there on Mother's Day to celebrate with friends. Maybe I will organize a TA get together for a belated celebration.

These $149 fares from the bay area are over Dec 22nd for travel through May so hurry and get excited like me. I wish this service started sooner. $300 is Kauai is almost free!!!!! Just like the good ol days of 2006.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 02:02
Mentioned in this post
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,238 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My prayers have been answered

I'm excited for you too!!!! Getting in that early is nice, but for some it might be a long wait, especially if not familiar with Kauai, to get checked into their accomodation at 3:00 pm.

3Chihuahuas

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My prayers have been answered

Congrats! Always great news ... getting to Hawaii at a lower price and earlier! Merry Christmas! (when you coming to L.A.?)

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My prayers have been answered

I will actually be in LA right before that trip, sorchestra. Marina Del Rey to be exact, which is why I can't leave earlier for Kauai.

Arriving so early can be a problem for some with late morning arrivals, but after getting the car, stopping at Costco or Safeway and maybe grabbing lunch at Dukes or Scotty's or another favorite lunch spot, 3pm comes around pretty fast.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My prayers have been answered

Whoo-hoo is right, Jebett!! Great deal!

Tacoma, WA
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My prayers have been answered

I saw that Alaska email come through too :) Looks like they've added a nonstop early flight from Seattle too! I'm keeping a close on eye on those fares for May too! :)

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My prayers have been answered

"Just like the good ol days of 2006."

You mean before ATA and Aloha went belly up for not charging what it actually cost to operate?

Hopefully this is just an introductory rate and/or Alaska has some really deep pockets and can afford to keep losing on the route.

At any rate, muct be nice to be a left coaster and be able to snag a fare like this when they come along. We midwesterners need to scrimp and plan for years between trips.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 22 December 2010, 03:46
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My prayers have been answered

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Wow - that is great "Jebett" - both for you and other travelers!

I'm happy to see that it is going to be easier time-wise for travel here to Kaua'i and Alaska from what I've heard other people say - has a really good reputation here - Leilani has used them before and loved them.

Hoorah and Mele Kalikimaka to you, no?

Malama Pono,

Janet

NE PA
Level Contributor
973 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My prayers have been answered

I opened this thread expecting to read that Bali Hai and Happy Talk are re-opening!! I guess jebett has a lot of prayers she's waiting to be answered!

Mentioned in this post
Happy Talk Lounge
Happy Talk Lounge
471 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My prayers have been answered

I opened this thread expecting to read "Caddy is now my new S-I-L". (Has she seen my avatar?) Alas, it was not to be. :(

That's a wonderful fare Jebett. You great people on the fault lines get some super deals, and over here, we just take what Continental will offer. Have a wonderful trip.

...now I could just spend two days driving to Jebett's and then fly HNL or LIH. Fix up the spare bedroom Jebett. :)

Mentioned in this post
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My prayers have been answered

See you in May, jebett.

;