We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airfare..take now or wait

Manteca California
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
airfare..take now or wait

We have the chance to go come to Kauai in October (yay..big surprise to us). I've found a roundtrip fare out of San Jose , Ca for $612.00 pp. on Hawaiian Air. Is there a chance that price could come down, or should we grab it?

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airfare..take now or wait

I would book (and did) and do not look back. With gas prices rising, I would rather be safe and have my airfare booked. Get your rental car lined up also. We go on Oct 30! Happy Kauai vacation!!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: airfare..take now or wait

Check it out with Bing.com. Bing has an airfare predictor service. Here is their page that explains this. Once you plug in your cities and dates it will give the percentage probability of it going up , down, or staying as is.

bing.com/travel/about/howAirPredictions.do…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: airfare..take now or wait

Out of curiosity I checked it out. For you dates and cities it gave $628 as the fare for most and the price predictor said WAIT, with 80% assurance that the price will go down or remain as is.

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airfare..take now or wait

I am a nervous nellie when it comes to waiting. I am always afraid since I booked my condo that something will happen and I won't get the flight I need...I have never tried the bing thing. Thank you Napaguy, I will check this out for future use.

Tulare, California
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: airfare..take now or wait

Have you checked Alaska Air out of Oakland? They are showing under $500 for October. I know Oakland is not a very desirable airport but they compensate with lower fares.

California
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airfare..take now or wait

Shortly after Labor Day all the airlines drop fares from the Bay Area like a rock for fall travel. I've been playing this airfare game to Hawaii for 20+ years and it has always worked. Come September you should be able to get an Alaska Airlines flight for around $400. or less. Fall is the slow time for Hawaii travel so they airlines always drop the fares. I've never paid more than $400. for a fall or winter (non holiday) flight from the Bay Area.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 03:06
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airfare..take now or wait

Napa, Dear, your knowledge and expertise never seize to amaze me. However, the Bing site refuses to play predictions with my itinerary, LAX to LIH, leaving late Feb/12 for about a week. Just says no. Why??

Mentioned in this post
san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airfare..take now or wait

I would wait and do some more searching. I booked our flights in December for our trip last week and paid $422 per person R/T with one connection in Honolulu. I know gas has gone through the roof since then, but I would still be patient and see if it comes down a little. I liked the recommendation of checking with Alaska Airlines, plus I would keep my eye on a few other sites like Expedia and Hotwire. You'll know when you find a great deal!!!

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Manteca California
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: airfare..take now or wait

Thank you all so much for your input.

Milkmaker..I found the Oakland rates..just not real comfortable with the area...maybe because I'm not as familiar with parking, hotels , etc. there as I am with SFO , SJC and SAC.

I think I'll gamble and sit on this awhile and keep checking.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airfare..take now or wait

Oakland is a very easy airport. Don't miss a chance there. Plenty of parking.

HA had some special fares just the other day. Book May 3-5 with cheap fares from here to the mainland. They run specials from time to time so sign up for their FF program and see what they send you.

$612 for october? I'd wait. That's an off peak period so the odds of you getting shafted are low IMO.