We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

Utah
Level Contributor
41 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

If we only do one paid tour on our upcoming trip to Kauai this August, it has to be a Na Pali coast tour. We are just having a hard time picking the right company. I've read reviews, but I'm still not sure. I was hoping some of you might be able to help us make the final decision. On Maui we love Trilogy, and would like a similar type of experience. I'm prone to sea sickness so I'm thinking a larger boat would be better. Right now I'm leaning toward the Southern Star. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,900 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

The Southern Star is a fantastic boat! Our experience was outstanding and I highly recommend it. Take some bonine the night before and morning of your trip.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,253 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

In addition to taking the Bonine, make sure you eat a decent breakfast. Contrary to what you may think, you’re less likely to become nauseous on a full tummy. Ginger helps, either ginger pills, candy or Ginger ale. Dark chocolate too. Also wear Sea-Bands.

http://www.sea-band.com/

3Chihuahuas

Louisiana
Level Contributor
677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

I just booked Southern Star for June. It's a gorgeous boat. Gladto hear thegreat review. Daughter get s seasick fairly easilyso she'salready wearing the seabands. One question though is are you staying NS or SS? Cap'n Andy boats all leave from Port allen on the SS. Also, do you want sailing or motorized boat?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

Dang, my spacebar is not working right. I also have to second the ginger for seasickness. It's great for GERD and indigestion too.

Spokane
Level Contributor
869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

We are doing the Capt Andy Southern Star end of this month and I get seasick. I bought the bands, will take bonine the night before, eat a good breakfast, and take ginger with me. THEN... I will post back here when I get back and let you know how it went.

From what I hear - not all of these remedies work on everyone so what works for me - may not work for you - but who knows - it just might!

Cannot wait to see the Southern Star - mamma I booked they day you posted about your trip. The staff on the telephone we wonderful to work with too!

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

We did Captain Andy's Napali Coast BBQ Snorkle Cruise on The Southern Star last week and it was excellent. It lasted 6 hours and we saw dolphins, whales, and all kinds of tropical fish. The crew was very fun and extremely accomodating. They served us pastries for breakfast with jucie and coffee and a choice of BBQ cheeseburgers or BBQ chicken burgers for lunch which were great. They pointed out all kinds of things like where different movies were shot and told us all kinds of neat facts about the area and the marine life. It was a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

Rob

Mentioned in this post
Napali Coast Hanalei Tours
Napali Coast Hanalei...
998 Reviews
Kauai, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,900 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

Loveplanning, after having some breakfast ...head up to the wonderful "lounge bench" behind the Captain. You will feel like Cleopatra!

Spokane
Level Contributor
869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

Sounds like the perfect vacation day to me!

Utah
Level Contributor
41 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Bonine has worked for me in the past, so I'll be sure to use it again for this trip. I've never tried ginger or the seabands before though.

I think we will go for the Southern Star. It sounds so nice, and the pictures are great. I can't wait to read more reviews.

Spokane
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me choose a Na Pali coast boat tour

Loveplanning....when are you traveling to Kauai? My wife and I are headed there as well the end of this month and we're also from Spokane! Too funny...

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
;