We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting through Autoslash

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
46 reviews
Renting through Autoslash

I would like to get your opinion on booking a car rental through Autoslash. I have used them in the past with no issues. I have also rented through Discount Hawaii Car Rentals and Costco. All of the booking experiences were fine (only had a problem last year with the service provider, Discount - just terrible counter service).

I have booked my flights for next year and am now moving forward with the car rental booking (from June 6 to June 28). I usually do this in advance, keep checking back with the different sites, and when prices drop, I adjust my booking accordingly.

The price through discount Hawaii car rentals is pretty high right now (that could change) at $1,055 for 23 days.

Costco best rate is $1068

Autoslash: $1143 (pay at counter/no credit card required) OR $680 if I were to pay now but free cancellation (up to 48 hours before the reservation) without charge. This seems to be a new offering (don't remember seeing this before).

The $680 is also a pretty good deal. I'm not sure if prices would go down further for that time slot and for the length of time I will be travelling.

Would appreciate advice or comments. Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,815 posts
1. Re: Renting through Autoslash

I think that is new.

Is it through Priceline? That price is so very different from the others that it is tempting.

As long as you don't mind having those funds tied up, there's not really any big risk.

You'll still be checking for decreases in the interim.

I assume A/S will still do a daily price check if you sign up for one, even with this new approach.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Renting through Autoslash

Thanks Jet - the $1143 quote is through Priceline with Autoslash and the $680 is with Autoslash proper. According to their terms, they will continue to look for lower prices. I decided that I couldn't go wrong especially with the free cancellation policy so I booked! As you say, it was too tempting to turn down.

Midwest
Level Contributor
233 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Renting through Autoslash

I have been tempted by a similar offer from AS....the emails I receive from them have much lower prices than my current reservations for October, but they are all “pay now”, and they are through AS. I couldn’t find reviews here from users that rented through AS directly. I read the 48 hr cancellation fee, and almost accepted an offer. If I receive another offer that is great, I may just take a chance! One of the offers I received was through Hertz, and was $120 less than my current Thrifty reservation thru DHCR. Costco hasn’t come close yet...but I keep checking!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Renting through Autoslash

Julee cat - I have used AutoSlash before and have had absolutely no issue with them. They are totally legitimate. But previously, their only offering was "book now, pay later". The new offering is "book now, pay now, and basically get a better rate...and free cancellation". I just couldn't resist.

Edited: 18 August 2018, 20:21
Iowa
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Renting through Autoslash

Reau, that sounds like something new. I’m very curious now.

So, did you do it?

Do they tell you which rental provider it is before you pay? After you pay?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Renting through Autoslash

Yes Teri, I booked the special rate with AutoSlash. After you plug in your destination and dates, they send you an email with a link to the different offerings and rates. You get to see the different rates offered by the different providers. The lowest rate just happened to be with Alamo so I booked. Love Alamo service!

Maui
Level Contributor
72,061 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Renting through Autoslash

Sounds awesome! What a great deal for such a long rental in the summer.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Renting through Autoslash

That is terrific! I have got fantastic rates with them on my last two New Years trips, but didn’t find a good rate with them for Thanksgiving. Guess I’ll try again.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,815 posts
9. Re: Renting through Autoslash

<"the $680 is with Autoslash proper">

That's interesting, b/c whenever I check with A/S, I still get only the PL booking method.

I wonder if they're in the process of changing back to the way they used to be. I've only been checking for 2018 trips, not anything for next summer.

Reply to: Renting through Autoslash
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted