We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccine Approvals

Toronto
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Vaccine Approvals
Save

Are Canadians who have mixed vaccine doses (Astra Zeneca & Pfizer) allowed to travel to Maui as long as they have a negative covid test 72 hours before travelling?

48 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
22 posts
1. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

ZZ, I believe vaccines from Canadians are not part of the safe travels program only a negative pcr test. As long as you are tested and negative 72hrs from your final leg-departure you are exempt from quarantine. Please visit the safe travel program from the government of Hawaii. There are only a couple of places they will allow you to be tested.

Edited: 17 August 2021, 20:39
Danville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

From the hawaiicovid19 website

Any traveler who is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the United States or U.S. Territories will be eligible for the quarantine exception. This means two shots of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose of Johnson and Johnson plus 15 days after the last dose. So it appears you would need to be tested at a Hawaii approved testing site.

Edited: 17 August 2021, 20:41
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
3. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

Being vaccinated doesn’t get you any advantage if you’re from Canada. Be aware you also need tests before you come home to Canada and they will cost you $200 each. Not worth it as far as we’re concerned, we just canceled yesterday.

Maui
Level Contributor
105,429 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

Yes--your q is being misunderstood, I think.

Do remember your own country's returning rules though.

Toronto
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
5. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

My question is really about if there is any issue having mixed shots with Astra not being approved in the US. I’m sure it’s ok but the 72 hour test is required. Just checking to make sure. I’m familiar with testing procedure requirements.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
61 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

Canadians do not show any proof of vaccinations for travel to Hawaii so it matters not if you've been vaccinated. Only a negative test result taken within 3 calendar days and uploaded to the Hawaii Safe Travels site is accepted. Travelling back into Canada however you will need to show proof of two covid vaccinations to avoid quarantine.

Copied from WestJet's site: Guests travelling direct with WestJet from Alberta, BC or Ontario can take a COVID PCR test with a WestJet laboratory partner (DynaLife or LifeLabs), within 72 hours of travel, to be exempt from Hawaii’s required 10 day quarantine upon arrival. See how to avoid quarantine on arrival when travelling to Hawaii.

All guests travelling to Hawaii are required to complete the Hawaii Safe Travels form and have a personalized QR code to present, regardless of the intent to complete a pre-arrival COVID testing process.

If a negative test is not uploaded or manually verified prior to departure, guests will be required to quarantine for 10 days on arrival.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

All Canadians vaccined in Canada must have a neg PCR test within 72 hrs of travel. Vaccines received in Canada (regardless of manufacturer) are not approved in Hawaii. Question that I'm hoping someone can help with.... Planning a trip for January and I live in a province where the required PCR test for travel is not available to me pre-travel. My only option is to do a layover in either Vancouver or SFO and test at the airport there. Has anyone else had to do this? If so, how much time did it take for your test results and how much time did you leave between your connecting flights to make sure you had results before flying the last leg to Hawaii??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

Here is a link for Hawaii's Canadian travel partners, AC and Westjet. https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

You will need to book your appointment through only the approved to administer the test. I am flying AC out of Vancouver (I live here). Flyclear Lifelabs through specific Shoppers drug mart (or other approved locations) is what I booked.

Here is the link for Air Canada: https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/covidTesting

https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/health-and-pharmacy/covid-19/british-columbia/international-outbound-travel

If you look thoroughly through these sites, it will lead you the right place. My fingers are crossed that you are flying one of those airlines. My Canadian friend is flying Delta out of Washington state and it is trickier.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

If I fly AC or WestJet I'll fly through Vancouver and test at the Ultima lab in Vancouver airport. I'll overnight there to make sure I get my results in time for the connecting flight to Maui.

If I fly United then I'll overnight in San Francisco -- testing is available at the airport there as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Vaccine Approvals
Save

Sounds like you have it figured out...great.

Reply to: Vaccine Approvals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.