We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
176 reviews
111 helpful votes
This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

I've decided to cancel, for the 3rd time, dh's and my trip to Maui/Kauai, things are just too unstable for my liking, for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps 2023, but who knows.

I do want to give a shout out of thanks to the DE's on Maui and Kauai forums, in particular SW, Jenz, and others who have patiently answered my queries over the years (I've been planning this particular trip since 2019).

Stay safe everyone.

K

46 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

I’m right there with you K. We postponed from April 2020 to feb 2021 and then to nov 2021. Finally cancelled about a month ago and feel some relief with that although we miss both Maui and Kauai like crazy. All of our trips have been fantastic even when it rained more than we’d have liked!

And I second your thank you to the DEs - their input is always welcome, helpful and factual.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
564 posts
87 reviews
91 helpful votes
2. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

We just canceled our visit for early November. We've been visiting Hawaii regularly since the late 1970s and figure we can wait.

Edited: 20 September 2021, 02:44
United States
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
3. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

I am just curious about what was the last straw for 2022? Reason I ask is we are still hoping...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
19 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

Oh jeez, we have also rebooked ours 3 times now, from March 2020 to Dec 2020 to Nov 2021, and are now pretty desperate to be in our happy place for a while. Even though things aren't great in Hawaii right now, it's infinitely safer than staying where we live (and yes we are actually triple vaccinated and super careful, so would not be bringing it with us). We have a couple of weeks left to see how things are looking before we need to pay the remainder of our condo, but I'm really really hoping we can do it.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
176 reviews
111 helpful votes
5. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

The fact that as Canadians (current rules) we would have to test negative prior to going home. Even with double vaccinations and masking, and distancing, one never knows what one picks up. The thought of having to quarantine in Hawaii would be a risk I wouldn't want to take. Of course if there's a change in government tomorrow, that rule can change, and things do change all the time, but I just figured I'll stick to Canada until we see the backside of Covid. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon. Hawaii should still be there in 2023 or 2024, so I'll go then. We haven't visited Maui and Kauai, and I am looking forward to it, just not in the near future. One day...

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
534 posts
11 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

We are in the same boat. Now scheduled for late April early May 2022 but prepared to cancel once again.With covid testing leaving Canada and before returning as well as covid insurance additional costs are appreciable . The hassle of getting tested and providing test results within the required time frame as well as th worry of what if makes me wonder if it is really worth it.

Level Contributor
88 posts
7. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

Personally I think that is a bad choice but up to you. We are rounding third base on the pandemic, cases are dropping again, its never going to go away but its also not going to be as bad as it was. We are already on the sharp downslope, by October it will be back to the base line, by November it will be a distant memory. Peak season here will be crowded and safe, cases will start increasing again maybe in mid February, but the next wave will not even be as bad as this one.

United States
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
8. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

That makes sense, K. One big reason why we haven't travelled internationally yet.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
564 posts
87 reviews
91 helpful votes
9. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

Nomore, I'd sure like to believe you.

That's what we've been hearing since early 2020.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Save

Sorry about your trip, Kay. We are cancelling our Christmas trip next week. There are just too many obstacles. Flying with Westjet out of SK, we don’t have approved testing here and we don’t have long layovers in Vancouver to test there. The cost of tests and the worry of testing positive on the way home factored into our decision as well. Oh well…We will appreciate it all the more when we do go!

Reply to: This Canadian cancelling 2022 trip, thank you DE's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.