We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now

Bozeman, MT
Level Contributor
615 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

I did my routine checking into Alaska Air to see what our schedules have changed to since it's been 3 times since our June booking, and this one was a whopper and I don't really know how they ca do this, but they changed our departure from late night to the next morning. We do have a place to stay because we had paid for that day we were flying out late to have the condo all day, but I called Alamo, and they can't let us have the car for the extra 8 hours of between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. The Alamo rep said "it frequently happens that they can extend the time" when we pick up the car, but I certainly can't count on that. I did book a 1 - day rental through Budget for that last night which will be a huge pain to drive to the airport to turn one car in and book another to turn around at 5 a.m. the next morning to drive back.

Anyway, has anyone run into this? I suppose if they can somehow extend our rental to the next morning at Alamo, then I could cancel the 1-day Budget ressie, but just flabbergasted right now that Alaska Air did this to a family of 5. They did offer an earlier flight that day, but I didn't want to lose out on a day in our rental plus there was a 7 hour layover from midnight to 7 a.m. in San Francisco on the way back which did not appeal to me.

Does anyone think if I check rentals religiously that I'll be able to book one car for the whole time between now and Dec. 31? I know no one has a crystal ball - just wanting to be hopeful.

21 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
41 reviews
74 helpful votes
1. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Yep keep checking. My Big Island rental went down several times leading up to the trip but keep what you have booked for now.

Bozeman, MT
Level Contributor
615 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Good to know thank you! Hopefully someone cancels theirs for our dates.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
51,823 posts
45 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Have you also looked back on Alaska website to find other flights that may work better for you? They drastically changed our flights one time, so I researched, found availability that would work and had them switch it! Worth a try!

I would also try the new car rental booking and see if that works - good luck! :)

texas
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

I would keep your reservation the way it is, but keep checking. In the last 2 weeks my rental for November has come down 200 bucks. I expect it will come down a little bit more soon. The hoards of tourists seem to be significantly declining, so I am hoping costs will come down anyway! It is free and easy to book again and cancel the older reservation.

Moreno Valley...
Level Contributor
78 posts
286 reviews
119 helpful votes
5. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Keep checking. in the last 6 weeks I have rebooked my car reservation 9 or 10 times, but I got it down from $200 a day to $29 a day.

texas
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Wow Chris, where did you book--if you don't mind my asking? That is an amazing deal. My rental rate went from 110 a day to 75. I am hoping it will continue on that trajectory.

Moreno Valley...
Level Contributor
78 posts
286 reviews
119 helpful votes
7. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

I booked with Chase travel because I wanted to use points on my card. They give you options between Alamo, Enterprise, Dollar and Thrifty. Thrifty was the cheapest so I went with them.

Bozeman, MT
Level Contributor
615 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Good to know, Chris! More than anything, I just want to find a rental for 8 days instead of the two I have now for 7 days and 1 day.

Washington
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Did you directly book from Alamo? Have you already paid rental fee? If not, check any online car reservation sites often, if you find a good deal book it and cancel your previous reservation.

California
Level Contributor
10,741 posts
50 reviews
26 helpful votes
10. Re: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Save

Many here won't agree with me but I can't believe that they can't let you have the car for the hours between 10PM and 6AM, there is literally no one picking up a car during those hours and even if there was, your car would never be turned over that fast anyway. They simply want the car back that night so they can service and clean it for the next days rentals.

I would simply bring the car back the next morning at 6AM and suffer the 8 hour late charge. People return car's late ALL THE TIME. You're not screwing someone out of their car rental for the next day, you're simply causing an inconvenience for the rental company. At a $100+. per day, I wouldn't be feeling sorry for these people.

There are a million different reason's why people bring car's back late. It's not like you're going to be arrested for driving a stolen vehicle after that original 10PM time.

Reply to: Alaska Air changed flights to the next day so car issues now
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.