We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

Bucket list trip for my family of 5 – we have three active, athletic, sons, who want to try surfing, take adventurous excursions, and enjoy snorkeling/sea life. Timing: 2nd week of January. Looking for recommendations for a condo-resort on Ka’anapoli Beach, please. TIA!

Other criteria/considerations:

-Great beach

-Close proximity to action

-Activities available

-walk to beginner surfing areas

-Parking available (will be planning some off-resort activities)

-Good amenities

-Budget – Looking at Hyatt Residence Club price range

19 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,873 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

Your budget.... you need to say what it is in $$$$. Some volunteers on here, me included, will not bother to look up the rate for the Hyatt.

You won't be able to walk to surfing areas from Ka'anapali. My first thought was Honua Kai, but they don't have a great beach out front.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
69,509 posts
396 reviews
719 helpful votes
2. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

It would help to know the age of your "three active, athletic, sons". If they are all over 21, that is different than all under 21 and what "action" they might want to be close to. There is no "action", as I use the word, in Ka'anapali and no beginner surfing areas, in fact not much surfing at all, at Ka'anapali.

For condos in Ka'anapali, the Hyatt Residences would be my favorite followed by the Honua Kai, the Westin Nanea Ocean Villas Ka'anapali, Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and Marriott Ocean Club Maui.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

Thank you for your reply! Looking at these resort condos, I’m seeing that around the holidays - especially Christmas and New Year’s, which is close to when we are traveling -The same units can vary by more than $300/night- Which is why I didn’t include a price tag. I appreciate your feedback - I suspect people who have stayed at places similar to Hyatt residence club hopefully will be able to reply. Fingers crossed. Have a great day!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67,833 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

Sorry you are limiting your answers only to those who know how much the rooms at the Hyatt go for. There's lots of expertise on theses forum but I too haven't a clue what your budget maybe. The more info you can give the better the answers will be!!

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

I'm no expert but with a family of 5 I would want at least a 2 bed 2 bath set up and at that time of year most resorts in Kaanapali will be charging at least 6 to 700 a night on the low end and thats without taxes, parking and of course resort fees.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
6. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

Thank you for your reply! Yes. You are correct - looking at a 2 bedroom 2 bath. And yes the places we are looking at start above $600/night (plus fees etc)

So glad that with this extra info I will gain much more info. Thank you all!

Take care

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

Thank you for resort condo recommendations. I really appreciate it!

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
63 reviews
33 helpful votes
8. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

We are owners at the Marriott Ocean Club, which I suspect has rates similar to the Hyatt. Also check out Yhe Whaler. Pool not as nice as the hotel resorts, but great location. What we like about that area is the beach walk which traverses from the Hyatt to the Sheraton Black Rock, and continues beyond. Easy access to tons of stuff.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

We are in Maui with two grown sons. While we play golf and have played twice, we are all about the outdoors and given Covid, would rather be outside more than inside right now...with respect to those that live here.

We decided against Kannapali area and haven't looked back! The south side, Kihei and Wailea are lovely! And an easy drive to most anything with uncrowded beaches .

Just a thought for you to consider!

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
25 reviews
32 helpful votes
10. Re: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Save

Not many condos on the beach in Kihei or Wailea. If not ka'anapali then I'd say Kahana, Napili and Kapalua.

Reply to: Maui Condo-Resort w/ 3 active, young adult sons?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.