We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
21 helpful votes
Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

This will be our first Hawaii vacation with a kid so seeking advice from the well informed people of trip advisor! We usually prefer to stay in the less touristy areas, but with a toddler in tow we want to feel welcome, don't want to disturb others, and want our active 2.5 year old to have a safe (no strong current, gentle waves) beach and pool (with ideally warm water since we have to go in too!) for our mid December Maui trip. I think Kaanapali is probably the best area for us, but would like to hear your opinions on that, and even better on which resorts or condo areas to look at. I appreciate the benefit of a resort for the big pool and additional amenities for the little one, but usually go the condo route so happy to do that too if we can find one that fits the bill. A view is a must since we will be stuck inside during naps!

24 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

Also need to add that reservations would need to be flexible due to the fluctuating covid situation. We have been very very cautious and would cancel if it didn't feel safe. We haven't and don't plan on dining indoors which might be a reason to lean toward condo. Again, appreciate your advice!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67,833 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

A condo usually doesn't have as good cancellation policies as hotels do. I personally don't like Kaanapali but north of there are some really nice condo/hotels. Condos with hotel amenities. Look at the Westin Villas, Honua Kai or the Nanea and see what you think.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
27 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

Chase’NRainbows has no cancellation fees for those arriving before 12/18. You may want to see if they have anything available. https://www.westmauicondos.com/maui-vacation-rentals/maui-condos

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
27 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

We visit almost every December. Some years, we don’t get in the ocean due to high surf and strong currents. You really can’t count on calm ocean conditions. Your best bet would probably be Baby Beach in Lahaina for your kiddo. The only condo complex there (Pu’unoa Beach Estates) is not resort-like, though very nice. Maui Ka’anapali Villas and Papakea (in Honokowai) have heated pools, but most places don’t. What’s your budget?

Edited: 24 September 2021, 07:21
San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

Thank you all for the suggestions. Will do some research and circle back with more questions probably! Really good to know the ocean currents can be more dangerous in Dec. Not that we would do anything but wade with the little one, still very much appreciate the heads up.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
6. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

Been to Maui I think every month many times

While there are some ocean trends day to day ocean predictions this far out are impossible

Just about any time of year you can have calm conditions some days and rough other days

December is during the winter wet season so more prone to one of the several winter storms that come through from say Nov through March

Then you can have heavy rain, high winds high surf, brown water and flooding for several days as the storm passes through the island chain, basically a tropical storm that comes down the island chain from the west

In between the storms the weather is usually decent

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

Ka’anapali Beach Hotel has great grounds for littles. Lots of grass to run around on and a whale shaped pool that’s really shallow at the tail end.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

Thank you all!! I am struggling, as although I know the beach is better for littles, I really am not excited by the over developed touristy area of Kaanapali. Honua Kai does look awesome for the pools for kids, but too pricey, especially considering most ocean views also include other high rise buildings ( I would probably opt for a mountain view instead). Nanea looks really awesome but is booked. We want a one bedroom, so that also rules out KBH, and definitely can't afford the Pu’unoa Beach Estates on Baby Beach. Anything good for kids more north, Napili area? Or what if I switch gears from West Maui and look at Wailea area (Wailea Ekahi estates?). I know there are also massive hotels in that area, but they seem a bit more spread out? I guess I am looking for an old Hawaii feel, good pool for kids and close, safe beach for wading and sand play. Thanks again!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67,833 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

Wailea is an up scale resort community. Wailea Ekahi is very popular.

There's a lot of condos in Kihei too but most of them are across the street from the beach. Look at Hale Pau Hana, Kamaole Nalu and Maui Kamaole.

Level Contributor
88 posts
10. Re: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Save

" I really am not excited by the over developed touristy area of Kaanapali. "

Then you should not come to Maui, because that is literally the entire island.

Reply to: Where to stay on Maui in December with a 2.5 yr old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.