We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui- do not hesitate!!

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
9 helpful votes
Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

So glad we decided to keep our current trip plans. I did struggle beforehand due to the covid concerns and some reviews indicating the island was overwhelmed with tourism and unwelcoming locals. On Maui now and thoroughly enjoying. We are in Kaanapali and it is not overcrowded. All hotel and restaurant workers are very gracious and welcoming- very happy for the tourism. The only issue is to be sure to book way ahead at some of your favorite restaurants and for any tour activity due to 50% capacity. I was told our hotel (Hyatt Regency) will only be at 50-60 percent capacity next week - so does not seem outrageously busy or any worse than any of my prior visits. Covid protocols strictly enforced everywhere ( more strict than my home state) but has not taken away from the vacation vibe- just need to remember our mask while at indoor public areas. Proof of Vaccination cards being requested for any indoor dining but most all restaurants have plenty of outdoor tables.

7 replies to this topic
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,921 posts
23 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

Good to read from people who are traveling and how they are feeling about it. Thank you for posting.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
80,663 posts
8,650 reviews
4,061 helpful votes
2. Re: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

thanks for your post and enjoy your trip.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

Thanks for the update.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
4. Re: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

Thanks for that on the ground report from a visitor’s perspective, very helpful snd realistic

California
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

Truly appreciate it! I have to say for at least a month I was in a state of constant anxiety. One day "we are definitely canceling" the next day "we are going" back and forth constantly. This forum was a cause for extreme anxiety. With my doctors approval and a booster shot and great insurance we are going forward. So happy to hear reports like this. Will be there in a few weeks bringing our patience and our Covid manners. Enjoy!

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

Same here - went back and forth on whether to go or not! Understand everyone should make their own decision based on their own circumstance. We are fully vaccinated which made the decision much easier but I was more concerned about the reviewers who advised of how crazy busy it was which was definitely true in the summer! We heard a lot of stories from the locals on the overcrowded conditions everywhere.

Regarding covid, with the strict protocols here, I actually feel safer than in my home state of AZ 😷😂. But again this has not ruined the vacation vibe as you are always outdoors in Hawaii😎

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
381 reviews
258 helpful votes
7. Re: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Save

Thanks for posting. Useful info.

Reply to: Maui- do not hesitate!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.