We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7th visit to Maui - first time trip report

Seattle
Level Contributor
736 posts
1 review
7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

I don’t typically write trip reports for my trip, but I think it might be helpful this time.

We visited Maui from 9/8 to 9/17, our 7th time in Maui. We usually like to do 2 islands on a trip, but we kept it to one island this time for simplicity's sake given the circumstances.

We debated whether to cancel the trip or not due to COVID all the way until the last few days before the trip, but decided to go since it was postponed already and we had another group of family visiting the island at the same time.

We were ready to cancel our trip and kept our excitement for the trip at bay until our 5 year old daughter's negative covid test result came 2 days prior to our flight. We still proceeded our trip with caution.

We got our wrist band from Alaska next to the boarding gate. Our flight to Maui was almost full, but everyone was masked and was non-eventful. I was expecting a long wait when we landed, but we breezed right through just like our previous trips. Getting a rental car was uneventful. We saw plenty of available cars in the garage.

We stayed in a resort in Kaanapali. For the entire duration of the trip, both my wife and I noticed it was actually less crowded than our previous trips in a lot of places, i.e. beaches, parking lots, restaurants, etc. We were surprised.

Restaurant reservation was tough to make due to reduced capacity, but having the food to go was no problem. If it wasn’t for people walking around with masks, we did not notice anything different. Oh, we did see a group of Maui residents demonstrating against mandatory vaccines in front of Safeway in Lahaina.

The flight back was also non-eventful. We are so glad we went and got to enjoy quality time with our extended family. Hope our first hand experience provides some perspectives.

9 replies to this topic
Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

Thanks for your report. Can you talk about where you stayed while on Maui?

What are some of the places you ate at, or had food to go?

Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
736 posts
1 review
2. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

We had several reservations at sit-down restaurants before the trip but ended up cancelling due to a changed schedule hanging out with our extended family.

Here are some places we ate (mostly stuck with to-go food):

Leoda’s

Food trucks (Geste Shrimp, Thai mee up)

Gazebo

Times Super Market (Friday steak lunch plate, yumm!)

Kihei Caffe

Ululani’s

Cafe O’Lei

Monkeypod Whaler

Honolua Store

Down the Hatch

Coconut’s Fish Cafe

Island Gourmet (Wailea)

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,921 posts
23 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

Thank you for writing up your trip. Good to read first hand, current reports. mahalo.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
80,663 posts
8,650 reviews
4,061 helpful votes
4. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

nice trip thanks for your trip report.

California
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

Thank you! How did you like Island Gourmet? We are staying near there and can't wait to check out their poke. What did you get there? Thanks in advance.

Seattle
Level Contributor
736 posts
1 review
6. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

aloha2u,

When we stayed at Grand Wailea two years ago, we went to IG frequently. We got burgers and etc. decent selection. For poke though, we usually go to Foodland.

New York
Level Contributor
804 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

Thanks for your report.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
11,161 posts
497 reviews
235 helpful votes
8. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

I am glad you had such a fun time on Maui. That is our favorite island! Thanks for sharing.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
381 reviews
258 helpful votes
9. Re: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Save

Thanks for posting. Sounds like fun.

Good to know about food to go.

😎

Reply to: 7th visit to Maui - first time trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.