We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week plan - summer

toronto
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
2 week plan - summer
Save

our family would like to vacation to hawaii this summer for 3-4 weeks. we would like to split between 2 islands. with a 5 year old where would be the best location to stay, snorkel in maui.

price range of about 1000.00 per week

easiest places to snorkel?

thank you

Maui
Level Contributor
105,429 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 week plan - summer
Save

Aloha,

Summer is one of the busiest-and therefore, more expensive-times in the islands. Your budget may be low, just a warning.

I'd look at the West side-not just cause I live there, but because in the summer, it's great snorkeling from Honolua Bay south thru Kaanapali. The South side is typically rougher surf in the summer-and calmer in the winter.

On the west side, take a look from Napili Kai, Napili Shores, the Outrigger Royal Kahana, Sand of Kahana, on down to Kaanapali Shores, Papakea, and the Mahana. Then move onto the Honua Kai, the Westin KOR Villas, Maui Kaanapali Villas, and even to the Whaler and the Ali'i. Can't hurt to look....but the ast two are most likely going to be much more expensive (Honua Kai might be too).

A condo will be the best way to keep expenses down. You will have more room, a full kitchen, and most likely, laundry options either in your unit or on the property. If it's just 3 of you, you might be able to do a studio, but a one bedroom would be far more comfortable for everybody.

There are a number of condos on the south side, too. Chisue, BarefootnAR, and some other experts here can chime in with rec's about those better than I can!

Get your rental car reserved ASAP! That is becoming the hot item these days.

What other island are you considering? If you are thinking about Oahu, it will be less expensive than Maui. If you are thinking of the Big Island, remember it lives up to its name...it is big. BI is beautiful, and many believe the snorkeling there is the best in the whole state. Kauai is beautiful--but you may find that two weeks on it with a five year old is too long, it's quieter and more laid back than Maui (or Oahu).

Do some reading and come back to us with some more detailed info-when in summer, where you're from, what your interests are besides snorkeling.We can assist better if we have more info!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
26,022 posts
2. Re: 2 week plan - summer
Save

You might split between another island and split time on Maui between West Maui (NW lobe) and South Maui (SW coast). Summer is a good time to visit Kauai's most gorgeous northern portion, if that appeals. I do agree with swmarket that Kauai could be *too* laid back for a very long stay. (All depends on what you're looking for.)

Your $1000/per week will get you a nice 1 BR in Kihei on Maui. Stay oceanfront in N. Kihei and drive to good beaches, or stay across Kihei Road from good beaches in S. Kihei. Good swimming and snorkeling beaches begin at the Kamaole Beach Parks and run south through Wailea and Makena. Suga Beach in N. Kihei is the only really good beach in that area.

It's easier to tour the 'rest' of Maui from South Maui, then you could concentrate on West Maui while you stay up there. (I'd suggest Napili for your family in West Maui.)

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
5,061 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: 2 week plan - summer
Save

Here is a link to go along with the great advice from swmarket and Chisue that will help you refine your search...

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

Click on the area you are interested in, and then when you select a property you will see an aerial photo with brief review, rack rate pricing (you can do much better), and a link to the property's web site. This will help you narrow down to a few options that work for your budget and the kind of environment you want. (actually, you can use this site for searches of the other islands as well.

I agree that you may need to tweak your budget somewhat, but with a bit of effort, you should find something that works for you. And don't wait until the last minute to reserve a rental car. Inventories are down and the agencies do run out during peak travel times. Reserve early and then keep checking back on rates. You can always grab a cheaper rate later and cancel your existing reservation if you find something better.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
59 helpful votes
4. Re: 2 week plan - summer
Save

We spent two weeks (Maui and Kauai) and spent right at $5200 for everything (our flight cost us $1400) so about $3,800 on the islands. And, we were with another couple, so we split condo and car rental. And as mentioned, summer is more expensive than when we were there.

You can check the Maui Sunset, where we stayed. Really nice resort, but an older resort. I will suggest you get a renovate unit, there are just nicer than the ones that have not been. The grounds are beautiful and the pool is nice. They have an activities desk to assist in your planning. If you are looking for a resort with direct beach access, this one has it, but the seeweed keeps you from swimming there. But, for the money it's a really nice place to stay. Very quite and close to everything.

Below is Wizardpub.com. , and infomation on the Maui Sunset. This is a nice web site to check out a lot of resorts, get reviews and prices.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrmauisunset.html

You may be able to get a unit not on the ocean for less, but those are listed on the attached site as well.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
207 posts
24 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 week plan - summer
Save

When you say, "price range," instead of "our budget," it makes me wonder if the $1,000 per week is for lodging only, or for an entire week's expenses (ie: lodging, food, car, etc.) Maui can be done on the cheap if you work at it, even in summer, and especially if the economy stays soft. But letting us know just what that $1,000 needs to cover will help us to give you better advice.

6. Re: 2 week plan - summer

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2010, 13:36
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.