We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
636 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Hi,

We will be in Maui (Kaanapali Shores) March 9-16th. Our girls are 10 and 7 and are excited about trying snorkeling. My 10 y/o has a snorkeling set, but I can't find one at this time of year for my 7 year old. She's small, maybe 45-50 lbs, (size 13/1 shoe) and the ones they currently have at Costco would be too big. How easy will it be to find something once we get there? Or are they available to rent somewhere? What about lifejackets - buy or rent? We are going to Waikiki after Maui, so it would be nice to have it there too, but not sure if it would fit in our luggage. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mel

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,677 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Especially for the young ones...make sure the stuff fits!!! It can turn kids off for life if their mask leaks! Maui Divers, Boss Frogs all good for rentals.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

We only used Snorkel Bobs once and that was almost 8 years ago but many here like them. But you can rent gear from them in Maui and return it in Oahu. If you can find room it would be nice not to have to do 2 rentals.

http://www.snorkelbob.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/sbservices_packages.html?L+scstore+ddms7172ff199419+1263129062

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Renting at Snorkel Bobs would be perfect for this age. The whole setup, because your girls are gonna be growing.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

google snorkel vest. They are flat and you inflate them. easy to pack. When our girls were young we had them to wear the vest and the adult in the water with them wore one also..

also check Snorkel Bob web sit to see what rental fees are for the vest. then you can decide to rent or buy. Mask..rent...wouldn't think of buying them for the girls at theis age.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,713 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Aloha,

I agree with the others about renting good gear. My only caution about doing the "rent in Maui, Return in Oahu" is the luggage restrictions these days. You will prob have a lot of stuff already.....and if you have to pay 25 or 50 to check bags because you're carrying snorkel gear............ouch!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,767 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Don't buy any cheapy sets for your girls. They often come packaged in plastic and once opened you can not return them. As others have said a bad fit will make for a very bad experience. Renting is the way to go. Snorkel Bob's is the best and he donates part of his profits to Hawaii's children. If you don't want to travel with the sets just rent them again in Waikiki.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Agreed--rent (or buy) them from a place that FITS the masks. A leaky mask is a drag for me, and I can imagine that a leaky mask would be a real ruiner for a child. Water in eyer and up nose--no more snorkeling ever! Or for years.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
636 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

Awesome info! Thanks everyone!

Mel

cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
521 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

I took a chance and bought a set for my 8 y/o son from Amazon.com. Worked great and was inexpensive. But as others have said, you might want to rent a set so she can be fitted.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling gear for young kids...

I quit dragging my snorkel gear with us several years ago. Now at the price of luggage transportation, you can pay for good gear rental easily.

For a week, you can rent comfort fit gear for under $20.