We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Hi All,

Somewhat specific question. I've been to Maui before and we're going again this May. This time I will be travelling with a 15 mo old. I've read about people walking the path to Whalers village past black rock. How far is this walk? I'm debating trying it with a stroller and baby so maybe stopping by black rock with some snorkel gear for the wifey. Before we would always drive down but I don't think any of us ever considered walking.

I would assume we would walk down pretty early in the morning and try to be on our way back before 11am.

Thanks,

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Aloha,

Ummm........Whaler's Village is to your left (if you're facing the water) from KBH---and the Sheraton and Black Rock are to your right. I don't know if I understand your question, LOL.

It's a five minute walk to either one from KBH, just in opposite directions!

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Aloha,

Do you possibly mean the Kaanapali Beach Club Hotel? That would be a little different story. If you are staying at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, as sw said you are a 5 minute walk away from Whaler's Village or Black Rock.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Beach club hotel would be correct, that makes way more sense. Is it even possible to walk from there?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Aloha,

I don't think you would want to. With a baby etc it would be a long haul.

You do realize that the Beach Club doesn't have real kitchens?

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Yeah I'm actually an owner there, the "kitchens" work fine if you bring/buy a hot plate. Can make simple meals for the nights we don't eat out. The last couple of years we've traded for the point at poipu in Kauai which does have full kitchens but we know what we're getting into.

Anyone know how far the distance is? 20-30 minutes isn't unreasonable for our bunch of people (1 to 1.5 miles).

Thanks,

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Yes it is but it's going to be a pretty good hike, especially pushing a stroller!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

It's going to be right around 2 miles...you have to circle inland off the boardwalk around Black Rock to the Sheraton.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Just got back early yesterday morning after a wonderful 9 night stay at the Kaanapali Beach Club hotel and my husband and I walked to Whalers Village (or back) several times. It tooks us about 40 minutes. It is a nice walk (we run regularly); however the walk way stops before the KBC and you either have to walk on the beach in the sand or walk all away around the back side of the KBC. With a stroller, that may be difficult and take longer. There is also the bus for $1.00 per person each way that you can catch every hour 10 minutes to the hour (9:50, 10:50, 11:50 ect . . .) to Whalers Village (and another $1.00 per person to Lahaina) that you can catch on the back side of the KBC. Please note the last bus to catch back from Whaler's Village back to the KBC is at 8pm (a little later would be nice). This was our 2nd trip to Maui and we've never rented a car. The KBC was great (we stayed there last year too). We found the kitchen to be totally sufficient. (The grocery store, Subway, and gelato across the street was great too).

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Aloha,

I think it's a beautiful walk that you would enjoy if you go early morning. No hills at all and beautiful scenery all the way. You will have to walk up to the road from your resort in order to enter the Honua Kai Resort where the path begins. You will be walking on the paths of several of the resorts after the actual boardwalk ends, but there are signs all the way. The little trick is when you come to what appears to be the end of the path as you reach the North end of the Sheraton. You will see the Sheraton tennis courts and if you just cut thru the path between the courts and bear to the right you will end up on the Sheraton grounds almost exactly where you want to be for snorkeling. If you are unsure when you reach the courts just ask someone how to enter the grounds....it's not too difficult. There are signs all the way directing you on the path up to the point where you reach the Sheraton courts then you are on your own..... don't know why they discontinue the signs at that point. Good luck, I think it will be a fun morning of exploring for you!

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaanapali Beach Hotel to Whalers village

Thanks all for the great information. 40 minutes each way sounds about perfect. If things go south we can always catch the bus back. That's a nice handy dandy little tip. I appreciate all the help!