We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aquapac?

Shepherdsville...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Aquapac?

I have been looking for underwater housing for my digital camera. They are so expensive, could I use an aquapac for my camera? Our would it make blurry pictures. I will buy a housing if needed but was hoping to save a little money if the aquapac would work. Thanks!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aquapac?

Aloha funinthesun,

Great avatar! I tried an Aquapac last winter and was not happy with it. It served it purpose of keeping my camera dry, but I was not able to see the digital screen once I was underwater. That may have something to do with my camera (Panasonic), as cameras vary on the brightness of the screen. The pictures that I took were clear, but I didn't know what I was taking. There was one time when I bumped the dial on it and turned it off from the picture taking mode, but did not know it.

Now it you check out the Lana'i forum, you will see a great underwater video that NatureCat made with here Flip camera in an Aquapac. So some people have great luck.

So for this year I recently bought a Canon Powershot D-10 waterproof camera. I am very happy with it out of the water, and will be trying it later this month snorkeling. It was $269 on amazon .com, so not much more than a custom waterproof housing, but much more than an Aquapac. But remember that a custom housing will only be good for one camera.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aquapac?

We recently went to St John in the USVI, the couple we traveled with had a waterproof bag/pac for their panasonic point and shoot. The brand was Dicapac. It had a plexiglass porthole where the lens goes. Seemed to work pretty well. Even shot some underwater video (although it makes you a little seasick to watch it). We are planning on taking it with us to Maui in February.

Here is a link to some of the images we got while using it. Some color correction to remove the blue underwater cast you usually get.

http://flickr.com/gp/ross_mike/87Ej2o

Edited: 14 January 2010, 05:15
Shepherdsville...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aquapac?

Thanks, maybe I will buy one long before we leave and "test" it first, to make sure it is what I want. This will probably be our last "big" trip for a while, so I want to have great pictures to remember it by. The screen on my cam seems to be pretty bright, plus I have 4 cameras to chose from if one seems to dark I could try another. If it doesn't work I will still have it to use at the beach for all my other stuff! I will check out the Dicapac also.

Wash D.C.
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aquapac?

Hi,

Read the reviews on amazon to gain more insight. I ended buying one for our trip to Maui and for the price I was happy. BUT, about 50% of the pictures were blurry because the bag must sit flat across the lens or the pics will be distorted... but there can't be too much pressure on the lens or the camera will retract the lens. Does that make sense?

Here you can find a sample of the better pics I took using an old Canon S30 and the aquapac

www.flickr.com/photos/mauiphotos2009/sets/

USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aquapac?

i have an aquapac and used it on my last trip to oahu. like aj1203 mentioned, some shots will come out blurry or distorted. bring a large memory card and snap away. i'm sure you'll get maybe 1 good one out of 5 shots.

6. Re: Aquapac?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 13:16