We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water shoes for snorkeling?

Laraine8
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
7 helpful votes
Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

I am mentally packing for my upcoming trip and wondered if I would need to take my water shoes for snorkeling. Some of the beaches in the Caribbean are very rocky to enter - how are they in Maui?

antioch
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
44 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

i used water shoes (teva brand) throughout our recent trip, 1-i'm to clumsy using flippers, 2-its great to go from ocean to casual restaurants,shopping without changing gear , only problem i had and it was a major one is that my water shoes are so much like athletic shoes that i pull in sand like crazy, rinsing the sand out was a chore after each beach/snorkel so make sure your water shoes are sandal like with lots of clear openings for the sand to escape.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67,833 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

Most of Maui's beach are very sandy with little rock. Some people like water shoes, other's don't. For me, they are just another thing to have to carry. You won't need them in the water unless you wear them with your fins. I just leave a pair of slippah's (flip flops) on the beach to use when I go somewhere else. There are only 2 beaches on Maui where you will have a rocky entry to snorkel. Those are, Honolua Bay and Moanakala (the dumps).

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

I agree, I brought water shoes on my last two trips to Hawaii, and I never used them. The beaches in Maui were sandy, not like other rocky beaches in other parts of the world. I will leave them home next time, as they just took up room in my suitcase.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

You can just not pack them, and if you end up needing a pair, just get a cheap pair at a Long's or ABC store?

I did find some of the beaches in South Maui a but rocky for my liking (I guess my feet are sensitive! Am also used to the really sandy beaches of the east coast), but YMMV. If you are snorkeling with flippers, you can most likely manage just fine without, which is what I did. None of the sandy beaches are so bad that they'll cut up your feet or anything.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
13,228 posts
20 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

Take a look at this site to see some of the beautiful sandy beaches..

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/mauiphotos/ig/Maui-Beach-Photos/

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
89 reviews
153 helpful votes
6. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

If you already have some, I would bring em, there are some great snorkeling spots that they will be useful

Rifle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
77 reviews
61 helpful votes
7. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?
Save

Laraine,

We all took ours...the kids hardly ever used thiers and i snorkeled with them in my fins...but later found my fins were more comfortable without them....but we did use them a couple of times to get to and from the car in out of the way snorkel spots...We lived in our slippahs pretty much the whole time...if you are limited on suitcase space don't bring them otherwise go for it!

8. Re: Water shoes for snorkeling?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 13:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.