We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what type of car? - Kauai, Maui

Prague, Czech...
5 posts
what type of car? - Kauai, Maui
Save

Hi,

My friends and me, we will stay in Maui, Kauai -each island for one week - what type of car (full size, jeep..) would your recommend us? Would you recommend thrifty rent a car company (is it the cheapest one?) are there any codes for discount? We are 4 people (24 years old) and we want to visit the volcano NP, observatory, beaches... everything :) Thank you for your answers

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,920 posts
85 reviews
191 helpful votes
1. Re: what type of car? - Kauai, Maui
Save

A convertible is always fun. No need for a Jeep, since there's no place to go off-road. I'd suggest a small car since the roads are narrow and the parking spaces smaller than we're used to in the US. The reason I suggest a convertible is that there are drives on both Maui and Kauai that go through jungle or dense vegetation where you want to be able to see, especially the people in the back seat.

Edited: 10 years ago
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
17,248 posts
46 reviews
158 helpful votes
2. Re: what type of car? - Kauai, Maui
Save

For 4 adults I would opt for a standard or full size vehicle.

Rental rates vary between companies and depending on when you book, so it's difficult to say who has the lowest rates. Some charge a higher rate for under age 25. You'll also probably need to buy insurance from the rental company. I would contact http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ to see what they can offer.

Edited: 10 years ago
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
67,833 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: what type of car? - Kauai, Maui
Save

Your search will be limited because of your age. There is no need for a jeep on any island. Convertibles are nice but with 4 people, cramped and no place to put your luggage. Check out the site Susan mentioned, it will probably be the best one for you. Make sure you get a car that each person in your party will be comfortable in. Volcano National Park is on the big island of Hawaii. No observatories on Maui or Kauai that you will be able to visit.

lake forest park
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: what type of car? - Kauai, Maui
Save

If you check the rental companies the prices are almost the same or the same between a mid-size and full size car. With 4 people go for the bigger car.

r r
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
158 reviews
84 helpful votes
5. Re: what type of car? - Kauai, Maui
Save

Our gas is over $4.00 per gallon if that affects your choice.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
11 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: what type of car? - Kauai, Maui
Save

I think full size would be the smallest you could use. I got very hot in convertible one year, then it was rainy. you need to find a company that will rent to you as a 24 year old for a decent price. Is anyone in your group 25? If so, you might want to have that person be the renter. From what I know Alamo, Hertz and Budget are all pretty good companies. A lot of people on this forum like Alamo, I am using Hertz because either me or my husband can drive without paying extra fee. Only the authorized driver should drive the car unless you have written agreement from rental car company. Have a great time in Maui!

7. Re: what type of car? - Kauai, Maui

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 10:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.