We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Oahu

San Francisco...
14 posts
Save Topic
6 days in Oahu

Hi,

We ( family of four, 2 boys of 13 and 10 years old) are visiting Oahu for the first time this December from 24th night to 31st. We are staying at 445 SEASIDE AVENUE, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii 96815.

So far we have planned to rent a car as we plan to visit north shore, east side of the beaches we well as Waikiki area, but looks like parking might be problem. Do we rent a car for the whole stay or do we book it as needed basis? How is other mode of transportation? Like Uber, or any other public transport?

We are planning to take the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau tour, but wanted advice if boys (13 yrs, and 10 yrs) will enjoy that as well or should we look into some other tours? Any suggestions?

One day we plan to do "Oahu Diving" scuba diving, any suggestions? We all know swimming, but this will be our first time scuba diving. Whats your advice on this?

Byodo-In Temple : Is it a must go ?

Manoa Falls : would like to do hike, do we need to book a tour? can that be self guided?

Can you suggest how do we break our stay to visit the Island?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

-Piyali

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Polynesian Cultural Center
Polynesian Cultural...
7,436 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu Diving
Oahu Diving
2,303 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Byodo-In Temple
Byodo-In Temple
1,439 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Manoa Falls
Manoa Falls
3,116 Reviews
Oahu, HI
3 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Oahu

I would rent a car for the whole time instead of trying to get one per day since it sounds like you want to do a lot of exploring the island. I would block that in ASAP since Christmas is a popular time and prices will only go up. People here usually recommend Discount Hawaii Car Rental, Autoslash, and Costco (if you're a member) as places to look for rentals and get good prices. Whatever you do, try to use a place that doesn't charge up front so you can check back periodically in case of a random price drop and re-reserve at the lower price.

I have rarely found parking to be a huge problem on the North Shore (though at that time of year it will probably be tighter both because of the holiday and due to people who want to see the winter wave action). Places on the windward side like Lanikai Beach are frequently said to have parking problems.

You can take public transportation if you feel so inclined. The Bus goes most places but its schedule may or may not meet your needs. You can buy a $5 day pass per person per day and take as many trips as you want within that period. Keep in mind that it will take at least twice as long to get anywhere as it would if you drove yourself.

Uber is pretty good to my understanding within the city of Honolulu and nearby but as you go further afield (like North Shore) it will be more difficult to get/expensive.

I'm not sure what you mean by the PCC Luau tour. Do you just mean the PCC itself or the bus tour they do in addition to the PCC visit? If you are already driving around the island, I wouldn't pay extra for a guided tour. That said, I like the Polynesian Cultural Center itself and I see no reason your kids wouldn't have fun as well.

I have no advice regarding scuba, I've never done it.

Byodo-In Temple is definitely worth it in my opinion and easy to fit in a drive around the island. It costs about $3 per person(?) or car. I forget which. But it's a good visit and it doesn't take too long and it's beautiful. Kids usually like banging the big gong.

Manoa Falls: you definitely do not need a tour or a guide to do this.

Not sure what you mean by break your stay?

Have you seen the driving tours listed in "Oahu Driving Tours" over on the right hand side of the page under "Top Questions"? That may give you some ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Costco
Costco
91 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,030 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,596 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Polynesian Cultural...
7,436 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Byodo-In Temple
Byodo-In Temple
1,439 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Manoa Falls
Manoa Falls
3,116 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
San Francisco...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Oahu

Thank you very much @Analise83. This is very helpful. We are booking the car today!

I was checking Polynesian Cultural Center Luau tours and found they have 6-8 hour guided tours that includes a Luau dinner.I was wondering if that will be interesting for the boys, or do we just drive through the villages, with self guided tour?

Is beach hopping an option? or do we plan to pick and spend time in couple of beaches?

One last concern, will end of December be warm enough to plan a lot of water activities?

Thanks for all the suggestion, and advice.

Mentioned in this post
Polynesian Cultural...
7,436 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Oahu

The Polynesian Cultural Center is more like a park. You walk through it, not drive. You don't have to have a guide.

As far as beaches go...I guess that's up to you? All the beaches in Hawaii are public. In December, I wouldn't plan on trying to do ocean stuff on North Shore beaches (the big waves North Shore is known for come in during the winter! Definitely worth watching but not worth trying to swim, hahah). But mostly it depends on what you want to do and where you want to go.

And yes, it will be warm enough. The temperature fluctations here aren't very big. See: http://www.holiday-weather.com/oahu/averages/

The water should warm enough as well.

Mentioned in this post
Polynesian Cultural...
7,436 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
North Shore
North Shore
1,030 Reviews