We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

Hi,

My wife and I will be arriving at Ohau on June 28 thru July 5. Our itinerary is in the works and heavily relying on input from this forum - thank you.

As to the above subject - I have read some pros and cons and wanted to get your opinion especially due to the recent volcanic activity.

As you know, there are companies who offer one-day excursion from Oahu to the Big Island. I do understand that this is not comprehensive, yet will give us a taste of the Big Island. They will pick you up early in the morning, fly you to the big island and then (1) take a helicopter ride or (2) van tour for the day with a return in the late afternoon.

My question(s) -

1). will you take one of the options above knowing that parts of the national park are closed?

2). if so, which one of the options you think is better?

And the final question -

3). it is hard to pick the one good company to contract for this....any recommendations?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
15 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

I would not take one of those options even if the park were open.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

With the VNP closed and poor air quality depending on wind, I wouldn't do a day trip at this time. Lots to see on Oahu including the lovely North Shore.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
North Shore
North Shore
1,039 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

I love taking one day trips to other islands. I find it easy, fun, exciting, and exhilarating. But, I’m aware that some people find the concept of island hopping difficult, stressful, exhausting, and a waste of time. Some DE’s find the idea crazy. Every traveler is different.

I was on the Big Island again two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I do have multiple business ventures in Kona, Hilo, and Volcano (just being forthright). My last trip was one of my favorite. It was exhilarating, exciting and energizing. There is something magical going on right now with the energy on the island. If you believe in energy and human influence from the planet then you most certainly must feel it. If my sentence makes you laugh, then probably not.

I’m flying back tomorrow primarily because I can’t wait to feel the energy and excitement.

I apologize for rambling.

Consider:

- Doing it yourself (tour if not comfortable on your own)

- First or second flight going

- Last or second from last returning

- Getting a car of course (this is a must)

- Looking at the things to do in Hilo area on the TripAdvisor pages

- Explore and enjoy many awesome places

Listen and read others who will tell you not to go or not to do it in a day. They have valid points for 95% of tourists. Maybe even 97%.

Good luck planing and making your decision!

Edited: 09 June 2018, 22:34
Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

If the National Park is what your main objective is, I wouldn't do it. It's closed indefinitely. Your chances of seeing any of the mass destruction this current event has caused is little to none.

I would wait until another time when you can spend your time in the island of Hawaii and give it it's due. The island is huge, give some time to it. It would be like taking a tiny bite out of a porterhouse steak and leaving the rest on the plate.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

I do not mind long day trips, even at my advanced age, lol. Have you thought about a day trip to Kauai including a helicopter tour of NaPali coast? Expensive but different. Ask on the Kauai Forum.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 23:17
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
399 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

I will be in Oahu for roughly the same time period before moving on to Maui. Probably the thing I most wanted to see in Hawaii was the live lava. We've decided not to stay overnight on the Big Island but are seriously considering doing a day trip to see what we can see. I've called Blue Hawaii tours and while I guess they can't fly directly over the park they say that where they fly you will see lava. Also waterfalls, etc. While this isn't as good as hiking in the park I think it may still satisfy me. I'm a very experienced traveler and the idea of doing a day trip doesn't faze me in the slightest. So given that, is Blue Hawaii the best company to use or are there others we should consider?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

I just came across Robert's abbreviated itinerary and it may fit your needs. The people I run into on Hawaiian Airlines from HNL to Hilo have shared with me that they enjoy their day. But, it may not be right for you!

https:/…Big-Island-Tours-5.25.18.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

I have used Blue Hawaii on multiple islands and on the Big Island. I would use them.

My friend in Hilo has been trying to talk me into taking a Blue Hawaii ride again this next week when I'm there. I may just have to do it to see what I can see.

What an exciting time on the Big Island.

It is fun to see other experienced travelers who can understand my excitement.

Please share your good, bad, or awesome experiences here on the forum when you are done. Very curious.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:00
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,666 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

The helicopter company is Blue Hawaiian. They are a good company.

I would only do this if you DIY and rent a car. Though the Park is closed, you can still make a nice day of it by exploring the area beyond Hilo (and maybe a heli tour). You are coming a loooooong way, and I realize you may not return soon--so why not?

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip

Thanks for the info and validation of Blue Hawaii. Some of my most memorable travel experiences have been the result of one-day trips so I think we'll be fine, especially since this is something I really want to do.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Reply to: Oahu to the Big Island - one day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;