We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First and likely only trip, need help

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
First and likely only trip, need help

Crew: Mom-Dad (50) son (23) girls (19,20)

Likes: Nature hikes, outdoorsy types, but love water slides/fun pool time-we aren’t the type to lounge..need to be exploring or active...

Travel mid December or first of January

Deciding between this or New Zealand (whichever scores best airfare deal)

Don’t mind being in smaller room, kids don’t mind sleeper sofas, we are never in the room but to sleep. Keep rate below $500 a night...coming in from Houston..thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

Look at waikiki banyan or sunset

This isnt Mexico so you won't find waterslides

Get the book dummies guide to Hawaii

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

Pools with all the bells and whistles are very limited on Oahu and Hawaii in general. There is the larger draw, the Pacific Ocean. The Hilton Hawaiian Village has some,of what you are looking for. The Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton have a pool,complex,that sits between them that guests shar. The Aulani out in Ko Olina also has more than just an hotel pool. That's it. You may want to look at condo's but they won't have fancy pools.

Mid December/early January is the most expensive time to come and there will be lots of people. Also, booking early is the key and you may have already surpassed that window. I went to Waikiki last year between Christmas and New Year and I booked early in April of that year.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 05:13
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Aulani, a Disney Resort...
5,867 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

Aulani is offering 40% off if you listen to DVC pitch, had them book reservation for 5 nights, just need 2 nights in Waikiki or other area to take in another vista/locale and maybe take advantage of public transportation for a bit of sight seeing. I thought Aulani was high until I checked other options...we are big Disney fans and don’t mind listening to sales pitch for a discount. Our girls play uekele so free lessons would be cool :)

We have a full kitchen so can make some meals there...still considering other options if Costco might have a better deal??

Mentioned in this post
5,867 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Costco
Costco
97 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

Tough choice. Hawaii and NZ are both spectacular that time of the year. Your $ would go a long way in NZ but the beaches are far too cold (for me anyway) but Hawaii will be swimmable.

Why don't you start a new topic and ask Hawaii vs NZ, you might get more replies from people who've been to both.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,707 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

More info, please??

... How many nights do you think you'll be on Oahu?

... Will you rent a car??

... I assume you know that mid-December through the first week of January will be very busy ... and prices may be considerably higher.

... I think that your budget would be OK ... and you may want to start with the Embassy Suites on Waikiki.

... Why did you choose the Island of Oahu? It's great ... I just wondered.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

Boy, if I could book at Aulani during that time frame for 40% off I'd jump at the chance. Spend the other nights in Waikiki where you can walk or take the bus.

Mentioned in this post
5,867 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
26,356 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

fishdiva - you would go to a timeshare or vacation club pitch to get 40!% off ?

Not me !

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

Our daughter just completed the Disney College program, we’ve hit a lot of Disney cruises abroad and here, 60-90 minutes of a pitch is an easy trade off to save $1500 😁

I should ask about NZ v. Hawai’i (where would I post that?) ultimately, it’ll come down to which area we can use most our ff miles...I am making reservations in both areas to be safe. Hawai’i is half the flight...we chose Oahu because with five adults-transfers to other islands cost us time and money...if we love Hawai’i-we’ll likely come back...but we love visiting new vistas...too many places to see in these short lives!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

I went to NZ last Feb and I live on Oahu.

NZ is very different but also gorgeous! I loved it there and even though we were there for two weeks I still wished we'd had more time to spend! (at least in Wellington as it quickly became my new favorite city and I kinda feel we had to shortchange it a bit).

I think in some ways it really kind of depends on what you want to do and what kind of vacation you want to have. We started in Auckland and spent a few nights in a few different towns until we got down to Wellington and then took the train back to Auckland to spend a couple more nights before we flew back to the States. During that time we got to see the green rolling hills of "Hobbiton", the thermal activity around Rotorua, the pebbly black beaches around and the Art Deco architecture of Napier, not to mention the mountains and valleys on the way between the two and then the beautiful city of Wellington (and we took a day trip ferry ride over to the South Island and back and saw beautiful geography on the way and dolphins chasing the ship on the way back).

So anyway for me, while there's surely nice beaches in New Zealand (but we didn't really go to any and unfortunately it was overcast and cool when we were in Napier)...I wouldn't really consider it a 'beach' type vacation nor a tropical one.

Whereas Hawaii definitely has many, many gorgeous beaches (quite a lot right here on Oahu and easy to get to) and lots of tropical vegetation and vistas. While on Oahu there's no volcanic activity, you can see remnants of old volcanic craters (Diamond Head, Koko Head, Hanauma Bay, and so on and so forth), you can visit ancient Hawaiian cultural sites, see a replica of a several-hundred year old Japanese temple, visit an amazing and sobering memorial to WWII, spend time on one of the most famous beaches in the world (Waikiki), ride horses on the North Shore, see some monster waves that the North Shore is known for surfing (since you'd be coming in winter), and...I don't know, I'm running out of steam but I know I'm missing stuff because there's so much packed on one island!

But anyway, besides looking at price, if I were going to choose between the two I'd also consider seriously what it is I want to get out of my trip and which location would best suit. I don't think you can go wrong with either (and as somebody else mentioned, the exchange rate between the US and NZ does mean your dollar goes quite a bit farther there...).

The people on the NZ forum are nice and friendly too and I'm sure would be glad to help answer questions for their country if you want to hit them up!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Koko Head Cafe
Koko Head Cafe
379 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,248 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,061 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First and likely only trip, need help

Yep place bets that would be the only way I would ever be able to afford the place!!

I'd love to go to New Zealand too. Probably never get there either but one can dream!!

Reply to: First and likely only trip, need help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted