We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where To Snorkel in Oahu Without Crowds

L J
Huntington Beach...
8 posts
Save Topic
Where To Snorkel in Oahu Without Crowds

I'll be vacationing in Oahu in July and am looking for recommendations for good places to snorkel without the crowds. We'll have beginner to intermediate snorkelers in our group - a little challenging is ok, but not too strenuous. We want to avoid the crowds but still would like a worthwhile and memorable experience. The three places below have been recommended....any comments or suggestions on these or other spots would be greatly appreciated.

Ko’Olina Lagoons

Kaiona Beach Park

Makaha Beach Park (is this more for the advanced?)

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Makaha Beach Park
Makaha Beach Park
176 Reviews
Oahu, HI
2 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where To Snorkel in Oahu Without Crowds

I wouldn't try Makaha. You have to go out really far to get to the good snorkeling there. To tell you the truth no matter where you go for the best snorkeling on Oahu in July it will be crowded.

The north shore, the Pupukea/Waimea Marine Life Conservation District would be good and if you go early (be there before 8:00am) then you will beat the crowds. Thing is there are no life guards. How is everyone's swimming skills?

The lagoons offer ok snorkeling but they will be crowded, again no lifeguards. Kaiona Beach Park doesn't have any lifeguards either and again, an rearly arrival is a must.

Mentioned in this post
Makaha
Makaha
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where To Snorkel in Oahu Without Crowds

I've seen people snorkel by the rock wall area at Kaiona Beach Park. And I agree the earlier you go the better and go during the weekday and try avoid weekends this is a popular locals beach park.

Reply to: Where To Snorkel in Oahu Without Crowds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;