We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moroccan dirham

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Moroccan dirham

Hello,

I have a q regarding Moroccan dirham. I read that this is a closed currency and cannot be taken in/out of Morocco. However most money exchange places in London sell it. Some told me I can buy 1000 MAD others that I can buy 2000 MAD. Am I going to get in trouble if I bring the currency into Morocco? If I buy 4000MAD in UK can I take it with me?.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
London
London
England, UK
6 replies to this topic
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,960 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moroccan dirham

Don’t buy Dirhams until you get to Morocco, you’ll get a poor exchange rate outside the country.

Have a look at the banks and money article in the top questions.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moroccan dirham

If you buy your Dirhams outside of Morocco you will probably not get as many when compared to getting them directly in Morocco.

Best advice anyone would offer you is wait until you arrive and buy from a bureu de Change although quite a few favour Hotel Ali as the best place to get them.

I do not know of anyone having their luggage checked for currency but why buy anywhere other than Morocco itself?

Have a read of this article, it may be of some use: https:/…Banks.And.Money.html

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Hotel Ali
Hotel Ali
233 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moroccan dirham

Thank you!

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moroccan dirham

Just take sterling and change some on arrival at Marrakech Airport. I exchanged £150 and only got £8 less than the current exchange rate. Then I change little and often either at the hotel or in Marrakech at the burea de change. Wouldn't even consider buying in UK before going, that's going to be very poor value for money.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,097 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moroccan dirham

@john9159: just to clarify, Hotel Ali operates two fully-fledged exchange bureaux in its ground floor, so it’s offering good bureau rates rather than a poor hotel rate.

Hotel Ali is ball-throwing distance from Djemaa El Fna, on the south west corner.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 22:13
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Ali
Hotel Ali
233 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
penna
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moroccan dirham

For me I just use an ATM for my cash needs.

but check your banks charges for using a Moroccan ATM teller. And make sure to let your bank know what dates you will be in morocco as your card may not work there if you fail to notify them.

My bank has no foreign ATM machine charges and the exchange rate is better then i get changing cash for Durham.

if you change in the UK you will get a very bad rate, likewise if you change in the airport you will get a horrible rate .

And please do not let globex talk you into their Moroccan spending card you will lose a lot of money.

Reply to: Moroccan dirham
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted