We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No alcohol during Ramadan

huddersfield-england
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
No alcohol during Ramadan

Staying at the riu tikida palmerie and

The manager had imformed us that as of 21:00 no alcohol will be served. The police have informed them today and now they have told us that they are enforcing the rule. Anyone heard of this or heard of this happening before. Cheers

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
1. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

During Ramadan most but not all places in Morocco stop selling alcohol completely. In Marrakesh it's a tourist town so there will be some other places to purchase alcohol, but it won't be like the rest of the year when alcohol is easier to find.

huddersfield-england
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

I understand that, but I’m in a hotel where I’m all inclusive, so basically I’ve paid for all my food and drink for the week. Nobody was informed alcohol would be stopped at a certain time.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

Well in that case go back and argue it out with the hotel management and the police. At the least you should get a refund, and at best the police will relent. Or ask for a stocked fridge in your room.

Certainly never heard of this before in a major AI hotel. If you want to escalate the matter, check with visitors who are staying in other hotels to find out what their situation is.

You could also visit the Tourist Police on the edge of Djemaa el Fna. They all speak English and are charged with looking after your interests. When you are on the square facing north, it's the building to the left of the orange sellers, see https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Brigade+touristique/@31.6259026,-7.9900187,283m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0xdafee43ab0b6b61:0x57ed2f1977f7ae51!2sJemaa+el-Fna!8m2!3d31.6257884!4d-7.989049!3m4!1s0xdafee4302bb5d81:0xdd0dbc4526b6571c!8m2!3d31.6260384!4d-7.9898802

Let us know how you get on.

huddersfield-england
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

Thanks for your reply and help, I’ve retired to the room now so I will check the situation tomorrow.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
128 reviews
5. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

Very strange to hear this at an out of town AI resort - I know Riu have a couple of Marrakech resorts so I wonder if all are affected.

I would certainly be complaining and asking for refund - although I suspect it's something you will have to chase after you return from holiday

I doubt the tourist police would help much in this situation

Edited: 08 June 2018, 21:31
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

We're in an AI hotel near Marrakech right now and no such rule has been implemented here, nor any other time we've been in Marrakech during Ramadan.

huddersfield-england
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

We’ve been told it’s the police enforcing this, just on hotels, apparently 2 days here then to Agadir. We’ve been able to drink at the pool bar today. But they said no drinks will be served this evening and tomorrow evening in case a check is made. Still not too sure as to what’s really going on but will find out when I go down to dinner. Thanks again.

huddersfield-england
Level Contributor
24 posts
93 reviews
8. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

Problem solved, the manager told me he got a message off the “governor” today and alcohol is allowed again. Cheers!!

penna
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: No alcohol during Ramadan

enjoy your libations.

Reply to: No alcohol during Ramadan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted