We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

Europe
Level Contributor
21 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

It seems like the only ones I can find are for tourists (Maison du Caftan And similar shops). Do Moroccan men not really wear caftans anymore or have I just not been able to find the shops they go to? Maybe there are some out in Gueliz somewhere?

Thanks for any help! :)

Mentioned in this post
Gueliz
Gueliz
801 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
21 replies to this topic
penna
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

Yes many wear djallabas , caftans and gandoras.

If you are in the souks and follow the Main Street down toward Marakech museum and the madrasa, stay right at the fork , just past the fork the next 4 streets to the left are the clothing souk , you can get from cheap to very costly formal clothing there. Prepare to bargain hard.

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

In Morocco, most men prefer to wear a djellabah instead of a caftan. Women wear caftans while men prefer djellabahs, but male caftans do exist. A caftan and djellabah are not the same thing.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e1/4e/c7/e14ec7844…

If this is what you want you’ll find them everywhere in the souks and Moroccan men do wear them a lot in the summer.

There are quality ones at a price. Chez Bel Haj on rue Dar el Bacha or Beldi on rue Mouassine for example.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 19:38
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

The photo by Shimminrobertson is a djellbah, and yes many Moroccan men wear them. Caftans are worn less often by men and more often by women.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. Djellabas have hoods, these are caftans or gandouras and as I said Moroccan men wear them in the summer.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 20:06
6. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2018, 07:05
Edited: 10 June 2018, 07:05

penna
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

I see a lot of Moroccan men wearing gandoras especially in summer as cooler then djallabas.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

Yes djellabas are more for the colder months, the hood provides extra warmth as well

Try tailor at Ensemble Artisanal for men's caftans

Mentioned in this post
Ensemble Artisanal
Ensemble Artisanal
1,084 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

"I’m sorry but you’re wrong. Djellabas have hoods, these are caftans or gandouras and as I said Moroccan men wear them in the summer."

In reality, the opposite is true. Caftans have hoods, djellabas do not.

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?

From Moroccopedia: "The Djellaba, unlike t he Caftan doesn’t have a hood and can have shorter sleeves"

Source: moroccopedia.com/traditional-moroccan-clothi…

Reply to: Where to buy men's caftans in Marrakech?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;