We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family restaurants

Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Family restaurants

Hi all! We are travelling to marrakech in two weeks. While we are there we would like to eat out somewhere nice for my 30th birthday - we have a two year old and a four year old along too. Is there anywhere particularly family friendly? Or perhaps somewhere on a square with entertainment? Thank you

18 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family restaurants

The vast majority of restaurants will welcome your kids - although you dont find much like kids menus in many places

On the square with entertainment, you have Le Marrekchi - but the show isnt until relatively late so I dont know if your kids stay awake that late

Level Contributor
1,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family restaurants

If you like style and chic ambience the place to go is Le Cafe de la Poste opposite Macdonalds on street Mohammed V . It's located in the heart of modernity - Guelis and it's a lovely evening to relax in this calm splendid setting where people attend in fine attire and with thick wallets. Food and service is good. Ambience excellent. Bon appetit

Edited: 11 June 2018, 20:08
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family restaurants

If you like a nice modern cafe spatial setting the place is Cafe Atlas - truly family orientated and prices and food to please. A snack meal is a lovely English cheese toasty and a more substantive meal is beef or lamb tagine. Beer and wine are also served at moderate prices.

The staff are lovely and very attentive to your needs.

Its location is on street Mohammed V next to Hotel Renaissance and opposite cafe Le Negotiant.

Such a lovely place.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 20:17
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Atlas
Hotel Atlas
158 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family restaurants

Thank you all - could you also please let me know how much is an acceptable tip, say for a taxi driver or barperson or someone carrying luggage etc

Level Contributor
1,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family restaurants

Do not tip a taxi driver

For luggage 10 dirhams is plenty

Edited: 11 June 2018, 21:15
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family restaurants

Thank you, is there anyone else you should/shouldn't tip?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family restaurants

Tipping can be an emotive issue with some on this forum saying don't tip and others saying tip.

Stick 'tipping' into the search box to retrieve 140 past threads on this issue—and that's just for the Marrakech bit of the forum.

I'm one of those who rarely tips. 10dh is worth about £3-4 in equivalent UK purchasing power.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family restaurants

Tim

Can a Moroccan do a lot with 10dirham which I see as 10/12 x 100 = 80 pence

Edited: 11 June 2018, 23:56
Matlock
Level Contributor
92 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family restaurants

@mozartbailey

I don't think the erudite Tim Cullis thinks for one moment that 10 dh equates to £3-£4 at the current exchange rate. If you re-read his post, you should be able to see that he is talking about the 'purchasing power' of 10 dh which is something quite different. As you point out, a Moroccan can do a lot with 10 dh which is exactly the point that Tim is making.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family restaurants

Not sure I agree that 10dh is worth that much in GBP - suppose it all depends what exactly you are purchasing but in general things are not 4-5 times cheaper in Morocco than the UK

As for tipping, I usually do round up payments in restaurants and often to taxi driver as well (only if they turn on the meter without asking)

Edited: 12 June 2018, 18:47
Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Reply to: Family restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;