We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper Clothing for Women

orangeville, on
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Proper Clothing for Women

I will be traveling around southern Morocco for two weeks in Sept/Oct. - Marrakech, Dades, Merzouga & Essaouira. Being very fair haired and light skinned, I'm wondering if a simple Tiley hat will be enough (socially acceptable) or is a head scarf a better idea. Loose, modest clothing is obvious but I am unsure about the head covering.

We are visiting some rural areas and I am wondering if western dress will be acceptable - pants and skirts?

I'd prefer to attract as little attention as possible but not wanting to buy a baggy (won't wear again) wardrobe if I can avoid it. Any suggestions. I do like the Kaftan style dresses.

Thanks Jannene

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Proper Clothing for Women

Hi,

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k3658…

This is one of the most asked questions. The above thread should help.

newcastle
Level Contributor
192 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Proper Clothing for Women

I visited marrakesh a few weeks back and only worn a knee lengh dress with thick straps and didnt feel at all un easy. i was worried too but all was fine, some women did look donw at my feet but i think it was my sparkly sandles. Hope this helps

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Proper Clothing for Women

No need for a headscarf, after all you are Western...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Proper Clothing for Women

Anything goes as long as you are comfortable and cool. I was there in June, before going I pondered what clothing to bring... I wore knee length shorts and short sleeved t shirts... I was dressed very appropriate and never looked as if I dressed incorrectly. In Marrakesh, I saw woman baring shoulders and backs... like I said anything goes.

Belgium
Level Contributor
116 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Proper Clothing for Women

In Marrakech you can wear whatever you like.

Western clothes are no problem at all, also not in the rural villages. I'm a Morroccan woman and I just wear jeans and a t-shirt when I'm in small villages. I do not wear a hat nor scarf. Morrocco is not Afganistan.

I never faced any problem, and I'm travelling alone in Morrocco.

6. Re: Proper Clothing for Women

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2011, 13:16