We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

Syracuse, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

Considering a 3-4 day trip to Gombe NP, preferably starting and ending in Arusha. Is it better to book it through a tour operator or should I plan it on my own? Suggestions about Tour operators or itineraries will be greatly appreciated! I will be travelling alone and I am looking for a low budget trip.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
7 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

Low budget not sure because you need to fly from Arusha airport to kigoma town then boat to Gombe national park

But check out with TOs by visit www.tatotz.org or go 4th bullet in TripAdvisor page list of TOs

Or Arusha to kigoma by bus next day transfer to Gombe national park

Edited: 06 June 2018, 23:57
Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

It should be at least 4 days if you will go by bus from arusha!

Cheers

Level Contributor
262 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

For that sort of duration, you could also consider looking at Tarangire with maybe a day of Manyara squeezed in. A local tour operator would be of great help to you. The link below should help for starters.

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293747…

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
191 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

Are you wanting to start and end in Arusha because you are looking to add it onto a safari you are already taking or are you planning a trip around this specifically?

I ask because flights from Dar to Kigoma are $200 round trip on Air Tanzania.

Auric will fly you there from Arusha if you charter the plane.

...and it doesn’t seem like any other airlines are flying there at the moment.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Dar Es Salaam Intl Airport
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

It depends. We are tour operators and can arrange it the expensive and convenient way (shared charter flights, all-inclusive accommodation once there) or you could do this on your own. It's not an absolute must to fly there if you have enough time. Take a bus, probably from Mwanza. Then take local a 'water taxi' to the park and stay at the hostel. These strategies will greatly reduce costs, but increase the time taken and hassles of figuring everything out on your own.

Mentioned in this post
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Louisville
Level Contributor
493 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

We (family of four) are flying from Kogatende to Mahale, which is south of Gombe on the lake, in late July and are taking a one way shared charter, and then Safari Airlink to go from Mahale to Zanzibar. It is not by any means cheap...

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Syracuse, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania

Thank you. I am really short on time. So, I have decided to shell out more and take a flight.

I would have already spent quite sometime at Serengeti by then. I am hoping to have spotted most of the animals the grasslands have to offer and was specifically interested in chimps. Thanks for the suggestion though, I might consider it the next time I visit Tanzania.

I have found a TO willing to customize the trip for me, hopefully things will work well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 23:46
Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Trip to Gombe NP, Tanzania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted