We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarangire vs. Manyara in May

Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tarangire vs. Manyara in May

Hi folks,

We are looking to plan a Northern Circuit safari in the last 2 weeks of May next year. I have been corresponding with a few tour companies, but because of budget and time restrictions we may have to cut out either Tarangire or Manyara. I initially felt my preference would be Tarangire because of the elephants but one tour company in particular has mentioned that Manyara would be a better choice over Tarangire because apparently Tarangire can flood at times during the rains and has taller grassy areas which make game viewing more unpleasant and challenging. Oh, and apparently prey move towards Manyara at this time. Can anyone speak about their own personal experience on this? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarangire vs. Manyara in May

Yes it can rain, and the roads will be worse in the southern part of the park, but remember the choice is ultimately yours. If you feel strongly about going to Tarangire, then by all means go. It is beautiful in May, and yes the grass can be high, but it won't be high enough to hide herds of elephant.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarangire vs. Manyara in May

Hi

You could just decide on the day and according to latest reports, book accommodation out side either park it is only a 45 minute drive between both :-)

Edited: 08 June 2018, 11:47
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarangire vs. Manyara in May

May of wild animals move up around northern lake manyara and also Tarangire is still great park to visit with big chance to see elephants

May is still low season always safari is cheaper

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tarangire vs. Manyara in May

Manyara is better park for May. Tarangire is better option during the dry season but in may expect to see more of antelopes groups and few elephants,warthogs, few wildebeests and if lucky you can also see lions too. You will enjoy the landscapes, green and all that but you wont see much compared to someone who go for Manyara park. If am given a chance to choose I would go for Manyara park in May.

Karibu Tanzania.

Bright Safaris Team

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tarangire vs. Manyara in May

<but one tour company in particular has mentioned that Manyara would be a better choice over Tarangire>

My be that TO's point of view, but I don't believe it, and not from my personal experience.

<because apparently Tarangire can flood at times during the rains>

If Tarangire can flood during the rains so can Manyara, the whole area around the lake can be flooded so you wouldn't be able to get any where near the lake or even do longer game drives except right below the escarpment. As you can see from the above posts they are both close together and the long rains will effect both parks in a very similar way.

<and has taller grassy areas which make game viewing more unpleasant and challenging.> that is a bit odd does that mean no grass will grow in Manyara, yes there are wooded areas below the escarpment that won't have long grass but from my experience if there are good long rains anywhere in Tz either Tarangire Manyara or even Serengeti there will be long grass.

<Oh, and apparently prey move towards Manyara at this time.> That is rubbish, predators are territorial and will stay in the one area no matter how much rain there is. Wild dogs there is a pack or two around Tarangire ecosystem but they cover a very large area anyway.

Some elephants, wildebeest and buffalo will migrate out of the park in Oct Nov and stay there till after the ling rains and all the water outside the parks has dried up but the main migration areas are not Manyara, also there are still plenty of elephants that will still be in the Park.

Can anyone speak about their own personal experience on this? Thanks! Yes I am speaking from personal experience, I would follow the advice in post 2.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Tarangire vs. Manyara in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted