We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non - safari itinerary

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
Non - safari itinerary

After contacting a few companies I've come to the conclusion that safaris are beyond my budget, so I'm just going to do the tourist thing without spending a fortune to go on safari.

So I'm looking for suggestions for an itinerary. I'm going to be in Tanzania for a couple of weeks in Sept. I don't mind hanging out for several days if I find a nice place and don't need to move everyday. It's a holiday after all.

So where would you go? Should I just stay on zanzibar for 2 weeks or is it worth exploring the mainland if I'm not going on safari? I wouldn't mind doing some bird spotting if it's not going to cripple me financially.

16 replies to this topic
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
1. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Where are you flying into?

There are plenty of places to visit and you can go by local transport and stay in local guest houses.

1. Visit Morgororo, Udzungwa, Iringa Ismilia.

2. the usambara mountains , where you can do bird watching easily and walk in the forest.then catch a bus to Arusha walk up Mt Meru, go to Babati do a canoe trip, visit the cave paintings at Kolo, and walk around the lake.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,316 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Depends which country you come form also arrival point in Kilimanjaro airport you can visit Tanzania some day national park and other days cultural tourism it really make a sense

But if your arrival point in Dar you can visit as Noexpert advice

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
3. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Hi

Karatu just before Ngorongoro is also a well located area to hang out with cheap accommodation options

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Thanks for al the suggestions, very useful. I'm flying into Dar es Salaam.

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Do you have to pay park entrance fees every time you enter the green areas on google maps?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tanzania/@-5.4593186,35.5605593,7z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x184b51314869a111:0x885a17314bc1c430!8m2!3d-6.369028!4d34.888822

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Thanks especially to noexpert and achnab for your advice. I've got 17 days in Tanzania so this is what I'm thinking:

Dar - Morgorogo - Udzungwa - Iringa - Kolo - Babati - Karatu - Arusha - Usambara mountains - Dar - then maybe Zanzibar for a couple of days if I have time.

Is that route all possible by local transport?

Stone Town, Tanzania
Level Contributor
153 posts
7. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Zanzibar is your Choice

Book the hotel relaxxx

I recommend you to book the luxury hotels in Zanzibar especially at south east(Michamvi)

Just relax on the beach, swimming pool, seafood a little bit out for Zanzibar excursions

Such as

=visit Stone Town

=Safari Blue

=Prison Island.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
8. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Hi

Flamingo guest hose in stone town cheap & clean family owned you can trust them to look after you,

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
9. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Hi

Green areas need greenbacks :-)

Bidford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
284 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Non - safari itinerary

Thanks, I'll be bringing pounds sterling, not greenbacks. How much is entry to national parks on average? Can I get from Karatu to Ngorongoro by local bus for example, or would I need my own vehicle or be on an organised tour?

I might spend some time in Zanzibar but I definitely won't be staying in luxury hotels, so thanks for the recommendation.

Reply to: Non - safari itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted