We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?

Katy, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?

Hello,

I am in the very preliminary stages of researching a possible Tanzania safari for my family (2 adults, 3 children who would be 8-11 at the earliest time of travel).

For a first safari with kids, I was thinking a private safari staying in central Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, and Tarangire.

To be able to see multiple areas, it seems a safari operator is the way to go in Tanzania. However, at 2 of our desired locations (Four Seasons Serengeti and TBD Tarangire lodging) the lodges have open game drive vehicles available. In those locations, I would prefer to use the open vehicles vs. the safari operator pop-up tops , although that seems like a waste of $ having already paid for a safari operator for the duration of the trip.

Ideally I'd like to just hire a private driving transfer between the lodges and then use the lodge game drive vehicles once at my destination. Is flying the only way to travel between lodges without booking a full trip safari operator?

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Crater
Ngorongoro Crater
3,485 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
5 replies to this topic
Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
510 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?

Flying might be the best cost-effective way. Transfer by road will incur additional costs since you will have the driver from the tour company with you and the tour company will charge a fee to hold the car even if you don't use it. Some tour operators have trucks with windows that dis-attach so you have an open game truck experience. The windows would be dis-attached when inside the park and put back on when in transit between parks to deter dust and flying debris by other regular traffic.

Sending you a pic so you see what it looks like.

Edward - Pristine Trails Adventures & Safaris

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?

I would say, realistically, you either fly between lodgings and use the lodge guides and cars, or drive the whole way and use your own driver and safari car the whole time.

Also just to mention that I believe the Four Seasons Lodge in the Serengeti, whilst maybe being very nice and having good facilities, has really no feeling of being in Africa, it could be anywhere in the world. When I am in Africa I want to stay somewhere that “feels” African.......maybe something to consider. I dont know of TBD Lodgings in Tarangire (I always thought TBD was short for To Be Decided) but presume this is not the case as you say the lodge uses open sided vehicles??

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:32
Mentioned in this post
Seasons Lodge Zanzibar
Seasons Lodge Zanzibar
193 Reviews
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?

<Ideally I'd like to just hire a private driving transfer between the lodges and then use the lodge game drive vehicles once at my destination. Is flying the only way to travel between lodges without booking a full trip safari operator?>

Yes flying is the only practical way unless you book a full trip with a TO and then once at the lodge you pay extra to do the game drives with the camps/lodges open sided vehicle.

It would be really too expensive to hire a 4 x 4 just to drive you between the lodges, as they would have to wait for you anyway at the camps to take you to the next destination.

You could as an alternative do the following.

fly into Tarangire TBD ( what ever that is ) then after you stay there ask the camp ( for a fee of course) to drive you to the next lodge lets say at Ngorongoro leave you there and then do your game drives with that lodge's vehicle and then at the end of your stay ask them (at a fee) to drive you to the lodge in the Serengeti and leave you there, then after your stay get the Serengeti lodge to take you to the airport for your flight and out.

It might be cheaper more convenient than using a TO's vehicle for the whole trip.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?

Open side car is not allowed in ngorongoro crate tour only in other parks.for comfortable for kids pick a pop up roof from your TO or you can hire safari car from Arusha

Fly safari you miss a lot to see the country side and local village along the road

I would suggest hire a safari and go road trip with kids and last day from Serengeti you can fly out that is no problems

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Katy, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?

Thank you everyone for all the information. Lots of options to consider!

(Also, sorry for the Tarangire TBD confusion. I meant that I hadn't decided on a lodge in Tarangire-- although I had run across multiple ones that offered open sided vehicles--so the exact lodge was still "to be determined.")

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Reply to: lodges' open side vehicles --useful for fly-in safaris only?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted