We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary comments

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary comments

First I just wanted to thank all the posters on this board for their suggestions. I've gained a lot of insight from reading responses to others' questions as well.

My wife and I are about to book our first safari for early November 2019 and are looking at the following itinerary. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I tried to get a mix of different types of camps.

Day 1: arrive Arusha. Overnight at Venus hotel.

Day 2: Tarangire- sangaiwe tented lodge

Day 3: Tarangire. Lunch at Tarangire safari lodge. Overnight at Sangaiwe.

Day 4: lake manyara- overnight Escarpment lodge

Day 5: central serengeti- overnight thorn tree camp

Day 6,7,8 - central serengeti overnight at Kubukubu

Day 9- overnight at Ngorongoro Sopa lodge

Day 10- early am crater tour then catch flight from arusha to Zanzibar in late afternoon.

I realize sangaiwe is not in the park but is close to the gate and saves a bit of money by not paying the park fees.

8 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary comments

Sangaiwe just 100 metres from sangaiwe main gate

Day 4 Tarangire/sangaiwe drive via southern part of lake manyara up to North it really great explore the park from south to north stop at hot spring, birdlife platform walk for via a flamingoes as good luck chance to see tree climbing lions

Edited: 13 June 2018, 10:48
Level Contributor
261 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary comments

<I realize sangaiwe is not in the park but is close to the gate and saves a bit of money by not paying the park fees.>

In that case, you could look at Tarangire Simba Lodge as well...similarly priced and also near Sangaiwe gate.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary comments

<< I realize sangaiwe is not in the park but is close to the gate and saves a bit of money by not paying the park fees. >>

Not necessarily. Remember that TZ parks operate on 24 hours entry tickets. So, if you will be staying outside the park for two nights and enter the park for few hours during both 2 days of your stay, you'll be paying exactly the same amount for entry fees as if you were staying inside the park for 48 hours.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary comments

Staying outside the park in November is not such an issue as once the short rains come plenty of the wildlife moves out of the park proper and goes in the areas bordering the park.

Tarangire national park is a part of a very large ecosystem, and with the lodges being built now outside the parks, and the decrease therefore in hunting there is plenty of resident wildlife around the park perimeter.

Outside the park is also easier to go for walks, and a night game drive if you wish.

The only hassle is stopping at the park gates for permit checks but it does not take away from the experience.

<I realize sangaiwe is not in the park but is close to the gate and saves a bit of money by not paying the park fees.> The payment of park fees depends on how many times you go into the park, if you have one 24 hour pass for Day 3 then you do save a day on park fees.

My only other comment or question would be why two different lodges in central Serengeti.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary comments

Thanks for your comments. As to why 2 different parks in the Serengeti, we really liked the idea of Kubu Kubu based on reviews but I also wanted to experience at least one night in a "bush camp" to get that experience.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary comments

Good to combine luxury tented lodge and bush camp

Go kubukubu tented lodge and Thorn tree camp

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary comments

HI

Venus hotel is not in a great area, better something like Ilboru or Planet lodge

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary comments

Thank you. Will consider a change depending on cost. Figure we'd likely just be sleeping that day after a very long trip from Canada.

Reply to: Itinerary comments
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted