We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow conditions

Orlando, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snow conditions

Hi all,

Just enquiring if anyone has accurate knowledge of current conditions from Gillman point to summit ?

We're at the point where we need to order crampons now in order for them to arrive before we depart for a June 30 climb .

We've been following the forecasts for snowfall amounts , and if they're accurate , there must already be 2 metres fallen. Can this be accurate ? 😬

Thank you for any info

👍

14 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow conditions

Hello, Tanzania National Parks manages 16 National Parks including Mount Kilimanjaro

Has issued status of Snow and what precaution to take. You can read direct from Tanzania Parks resource URL.

Read on headlines: Slippery ice on Mount Kilimanjaro summit trails

http://tanzaniaparks.go.tz

I reply on behalf of Kilimanjaro Tanzanite Safaris Co.Ltd ...Trustworthy and recommended at TripAdvisor

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Orlando, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow conditions

Thank you for your reply. We had seen this notice from the National Park Authority. I was really after a first hand report from guides or climbers who'd been to summit in last few days . Difficult to judge whether there's deep snow requiring crampons , or just packed ice which may just require intermediate type grip devices.

Thanks for your reply though.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow conditions

Okay Orob

We notice your comment

Snow is not big issue to worry about, I can tell you experience, below is example from trip organized by Kilimanjaro Tanzanite Safaris Co.Ltd

In May 2018 last Month, when rain was just ending, A group of students from BYU (Brigham Young University from Utah) climbed Kilimanjaro through Northern circuit 9 days. Group had 12 people and 11 went to Summit Kilimanjaro successful through Barafu Camp. So if you use Machame, Lemosho or Northern circuit, that is fine.

We carried ice axe, while climbers had their Mountain boots

It is better you carry Crampons as precaution though

And That Notice from Tanzania parks is precaution, there is No danger reported soonest

Mentioned in this post
Orlando, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow conditions

Thank you for taking the time reply .

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow conditions

We have been telling all of our clients to bring YakTrax or Microspikes. The conditions are icy right now. Be safe.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow conditions

Hello,

I summitted on the May 29 and definitely recommend ice cleats. I didn't need them on the way up, but on the way down, it was very slippery. I brought my own cleats (Korkers ice cleats) and they were a godsend! My guide was struggling hardcore to maintain solid footing. Regular ice cleats seem to work fine as the snow was so set up that your feet don't sink in at all. The small cleats provide just enough traction. They seem pretty light-weight as well. Your guide service should be able to provide crampons, but mine didn't bring them and therefore really glad that I had my own.

https:/…1838717.uts

Marangu, Tanzania
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow conditions

Hello

The main rainy season in this part of the world occurs between mid-March and mid-May. Rains have been light over the past several years. In the area immediately to the north of Kilimanjaro there has in fact been drought for the past 5 years or so. But this year the rains started early, continued late and have been exceptionally heavy, more so than for at least the last 20 years. There has consequently been an unusually heavy accumulation of snow on the slopes of Kibo and, now, just at the beginning of the climbing season, we have received a circular from Kilimanjaro National Park stating that conditions on the final ascent trails are icy and that these icy conditions may persist until the end of June.

This does not mean that you can't climb at this time, but we want to encourage all our climbers to bring lightweight crampons or crampon-like grips that can be easily attached to your boots.

I realise that time is short, but I hope you have enough time where you live to source something like what is shown on this American site:

trailspace.com/gear/stabil/stabilicers-lite/.

Perhaps you have already something suitable if you are alpinists or you know someone you can borrow from.

Mentioned in this post
Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow conditions

You can still make it to the summit the conditions now is super okay.

I actually descent couple of days back and all is good.

Welcome

Mussa

Head Guide & Owner

Foot On Kili Tanzania

Mentioned in this post
Burgas, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow conditions

Hi,what are the current conditions at the summit? Are microspikes still recommended?

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow conditions

we were there about two weeks ago, and used yaktrax, which were helpful for the latter parts of the ascent and for descent ... but would also imagine conditions may be quite different now...?

Reply to: Snow conditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted