We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lesotho self drive from Johannesburg

South Africa
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Lesotho self drive from Johannesburg

Hi,

We are planning a self drive into Lesotho from the 8 August 2018 for 4 nights. We do have a 4X4 but not very experienced in 4X4 driving. I am looking for advise and suggestions on where to stay. Can we do the drive without assistance and maybe join a group at the Sani Pass as I have read it is a bit tricky.

2 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Lesotho self drive from Johannesburg

In August you have to watch the weather, the biggest problem being slipping on ice (even for a 4x4).

Suggest you join this forum: 4x4community.co.za/forum/…173-Lesotho

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
243 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Lesotho self drive from Johannesburg

Providing there isn't ice as mentioned above, you will have no problem with Sani Pass. It really isn't difficult at all (I think it used to be but it certainly wasn't last year) and even motor bikes go up (that does seem a bit more tricky). We really enjoyed the Sani Mountain Lodge. Maliba was also nice for hiking. Malealea Lodge was a lot of fun for 3 nights or so. You can also have a look at Semonkong which I hear great things about but haven't been able to visit yet.

Reply to: Lesotho self drive from Johannesburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted