We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist visit to Tripoli

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
338 reviews
Tourist visit to Tripoli

Please can anyone help me? I am flying to Tripoli at the end of August for five days. As yet I have not decided on which hotel I will stay at. I am currently unable to obtain an answer from the Libyan visa section in London on the telephone - they keep telling me to call back later.

Some people say it is possible to obtain a visa on arrival at the airport - is this correct? I am travelling independently, not with any tour group, as I worked for a year in Tripoli for Oasis Oil Company in 1968-9, on Omar Mukhtar Street, so it will be a trip down memory lane. I no longer work and do not have a sponsor. How do I go about getting a tourist visa?

I understand that Georgimpopoli is now called Gagaresh (?)and I expect I will not recognise much. I used to live in an apartment off Omar Mukhtar and the Oasis building was only a few minutes walk. Can anyone tell me if this building is still there? I would be grateful for any help anyone can give.

Best wishes

Tripoli
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Tourist visit to Tripoli

Not sure if I am too late in answering your post, but tourist visas have currently been suspended to Libya for a few weeks. The only way to get a visa in right now is to get a BUSINESS visa, which are significantly more expensive. You can get the stamp upon arrival into the Tripoli Airport, but you MUST have a letter of invitation signed and stamped from immigration BEFORE you board your plane to come to Tripoli (you have to show that to the airline in order to board the plane).

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
338 reviews
2. Re: Tourist visit to Tripoli

Thank you very much for your reply, for which I am very grateful.

In view of my inability to gain any answer on the phone from the Libyan Consulate, I had no alternative but to cancel my flight. I am very disappointed, but hopefully I will return one day.

Whilst emailing, is there anyone out there living in Tripoli, who could answer the questions in my previous email? I would be most grateful.

Shukran.

Master Echo

3. Re: Tourist visit to Tripoli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Tripoli
Recent Conversations