We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security and general life in Tripoli

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Topic
Security and general life in Tripoli

Hello all

I am trying to obtain a little information about Tripoli before accepting a contract there, just looking for the usual where to live, eat, shop etc plus no go areas etc.

I would presume that all the usual home comforts booze, fags, food are all available?

Also what are the weekend days there? is it thur/fri or fri/sat. and one last thing where can you fly to in france direct from Tripoli international airport.

TIA

Mark

Northampton, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Security and general life in Tripoli

Hi

you may want to consider postponing your visit for the time being as safety is a major issue especially in recent weeks. in Benghazi, 31 people where killed in clashes between militias and protesters on sunday. Yesterday a car bombing occured outside the italian embassy in tripoli. Strikes and protests taking place all over the country.

I'm not too familiar with Tripoli as most of my relatives are from Benghazi so i can't give u specifics on food, however, reasturants, cafes, and takeaways serving both medeteranian and weastern cousines are available across the capital . I know for a fact that the sale and consumption of alchohol is prohibited in Libya, however cigaretes are availale at the airport and in nearly every store in the country and are extremely cheap compared to european prices so that shouldn't be an issue.

unless there's been a recent change, weekends are friday and saturday but in some sectors, only friday is given as holiday for the weekend.

Mo

2. Re: Security and general life in Tripoli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Tripoli
Recent Conversations