We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trustworthy transport---touring or local

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
7 helpful votes
Trustworthy transport---touring or local
Save

I lived in Malawi for one year and have just returned home. Whilst there I had the pleasure of meeting Jacob Luciano who runs a travel/transport service. Jacob is extremely responsible and professional. He takes tourists on extended tours around Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe. South Africa or anywhere in the region. He also has a local Lilongwe based taxi service.

There are many cowboy drivers and "tour guides" in Malawi, so knowing that your driver/guide is honest and will treat you with respect is a huge bonus.

Jacob can be reached by:

+265 999 540 540

redrosetravel1@gmail.com

http://www.redrosetravelmalawi.blogspot.com

Twitter: @redrosemalawi

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
578 posts
27 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local
Save

Thanks for the contact. I will for sure use him in the future.

On the contrary I need to warn visitors about a transfer operator that works at Malawi border and is based in Chipata, namely Mophy Transfer service, because he is untrustworthy and operates a fraudulent business. This is from our experience with him and also from others who told us about their bad experiences.

2. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with regards to family-friendly language and/or subject matter.

What are forum guidelines?
Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
578 posts
27 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local
Save

oh finally we have Mr. Mophy himself. Good lets clarify for the umpteenth time to readers what happened - because Mr. Mophy does not seem to get it.

I paid the 25% deposit (USD $1175 on 14th Oct 2016) because you assured me that once I do the deposit you will make reservations in the lodges/camps agreed - and you yourself will do the reservation with a deposit as below emails from you show:

Email dd 4th Oct 2016 :- “Hello, I have made provision bookings to camps and lodges. I have selected the best places. Next you have pay 50% deposits. To secure I have to pay as well. Let know if that is okey with you. Thanks mophy”

Because I said that it may be too early to do a deposit you told me, in your Email dd 10th Oct 2016:-

“Hello, they can not confirm with out deposite . any booking is confirmed with deposits. These places have no internet. Reservations. done some where. this is right time to make booking places like north luangwa a d Bangweulu. I will forward to you confirmation from all the camps and lodges as soon I pay depossite.”

So I made the deposit on the 14th Oct.

Since after 2 months, you did not send me one single reservation as promised by you above, but a lot of lies, I asked the lodges if they hold my reservation. Not even you did not do a deposit in our name as agreed, you did not even do a provisional booking - to make matters worse, they DID NOT EVEN KNOW YOU, except one.

I asked you again, and gave you another 3 chances, yet you never did my reservation. This is the reason we cancelled - because we were fed up receiving one lie after another.

After I cancelled you promised me over 20 times in writing that you will send us our deposit back. This you did because you knew that YOU DID NOT HONOUR our agreement. Below are some of your emails, to keep this as short as possible:

"I will send to you . I will not let you down."

"I keep my words . you will receive your money . thanks mophy"

"Hello, your payment is in process . I'm not the sole proprietor. Thanks mophy"

"Happy new year. Yes I will send . I have no problem with you. If still interested we can still conduct your tour . and you will pay us at the end of the tour . when you are satisfied with our service. mophy"

You never sent our money. Since more than 3 months had passed, then I warned you several times that I will write my story on the internet if you do not send our money, but you continued with your lies. Only then, in March (5 months later) I wrote my story on the internet.

As regards meeting me - How come you did not meet me? You told me on the 5th June that "I'm waiting here , in know exactly time you be in. Zambia”. If you knew exact time, what kept you from meeting me?

Also you told me in an email dd 15th May 2017 “………..I'm promising . you will never enjoy your holiday.”

Where you in hiding or something? Do you think you can continue messing around other people's life? I can assure you that I will not let you. Your time is up, and your angry tone shows this. You chose this route - I warned you several times.

Edited: 5 years ago
Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
578 posts
27 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local
Save

And for your information I never in my whole life stayed in Marula lodge as you allege.

But the fact that you were checking were I will stay shows how unprofessional you are. This combined with the threats you sent me before, show what a criminal and fraud you are.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
246 posts
61 reviews
32 helpful votes
5. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local
Save

Thank you for the information about Jacob and Red Rose Travel. He picked me up at the Zambia / Malawi border yesterday and took me to Lilongwe, where he negotiated a much reduced rate on my hotel and has been providing lots of useful suggestions and advice. I encouraged him to make a Tripadvisor business page so more people can learn about his services and provide reviews. Will write one myself after I leave the area.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local
Save

That's good to hear. Jacob Is good honest man and I hope the word will get out more so that other tourists will be able to have positive and safe experiences in Malawi and Zambia and in neighbouring countries.

7. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

8. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

9. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
63 reviews
36 helpful votes
10. Re: Trustworthy transport---touring or local
Save

We just got back from Malawi and had the most incredible driver recommended to us by one of the lodges we stayed at. His name is Austin. Wonderful driving, on time, English speaking! It made our trip so easy and stress free. It also worked out so much more cost effective than hiring a car. Message me and I will send you his details.

Get answers to your questions about Lilongwe
More Lilongwe Topics
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.