We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Mozambique

Birmingham, United...
1 post
Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on whether I would be safe in Mozambique as a young white man, as I would clearly look like a foreigner and am worried whether I would be targetted because of it. I would be volunteering in a local school near Maputo for around 6-8 weeks, staying with Mozambicans during that time. I've heard/seen conflicting evidence that Mozambique is safe to visit/is dangerous with high crime levels (involving violent robbery etc) from forums and the western embassies travel advice. For instance, the chances of being targetted as a victim of crime are about the same as a major US city, although most visits are trouble-free. Is it worth the risk? It truly looks like an incredible place.

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
32 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi,

Maptuo is generally safer than somewhere like nearby Johanessburg but you still have to take lots of precautions. Home invasions, and petty theft are very common. Staying in the suburbs will indeed put a target on your back. Best not to be seen with laptops, or modern phones as that will increase the target.

Most short visits are indeed trouble free - but most expats who stay for a few months/years will have been a victim on at least one occasion.

Me more concerned about the likelihood that war is about to start again. A tourist bus was targeted over the weekend coming down from Renamo's stonghold of Sofala after two incidents late last week where Moz Police attacked a Renamo home/office and Renamo retaliated by attacking a police station killing four police officers and wounding ten others. Stay tuned to the news and this forum, the situation is very tense at the moment.

Edited: 9 years ago
Cape Town Central...
1 post
2. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi Guys,

I have just returned to Cape Town after having an amazing holiday in Mozambique with blue water and dolphins swimming right in front of me on Portuguese Island. However, I had so >>MANY<< bad experiences in the city of Maputo where taxi drivers and hawkers seemed to overcharge me in so many ways due to being a foreigner and only after three days of being ripped off had I realised. My friend and I even got harassed by the workers on the ferry who wanted us to pay 800Mt for a ticket when the price of the ticket itself noted: "200 Mt". Even the police at the fairy point didn't want to let us go until we paid the extra and kept on asking us how much money we had to give them.

*It is a great place with many corruption* :).

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
32 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

sad but true, you definitely have to be street smart. What ferry costs 200mtn?

South Pacific
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hello, I am looking at travelling to Mozambique between October and December this year. I have seen a great deal in Bonito Bay.(8 hour drive from Maputo) It seems to good to be true.

I am a white blonde haired blue eyes English girl living in South Africa with my white Afrikaans boyfriend.

The reason I state this is because I have heard it is so corrupt and we would be targeted heavily. I believe I need to buy a visa at the border too as I am English. This is also an area where they can take advantage of me.

I am a little concerned as there is part of the route where we travel approx 14km on a dirt road, through a forest.

I have heard so many violent stories about Mozambique... But it is from people who have never themselves been.

The experience looks amazing... But I don't know whether it is worth the risk?

Thank you in advance

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
32 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi Kelly,

I'm sure you will have a safe trip. Being a foreigner you are likely to be targeted by police trying to extort money, but they can only do this if you do not have your passport on you. If you don't walk to walk around with your passport go to Inhambane and look for the 'Notario'. Get a photocopy of your passport and visa notorised and then police will have nothing to get you on.

I've never heard of people being extorted for visas. Just make sure you have accommodation bookings etc. to prove you are a tourist.

Note taht at the border you can only get a 30 day visa. IF you need longer you should get it in Pretoria, Durban, or Nelspruit.

Most crime is petty theft. Don't leave any valuable unattended. Don't walk along the beach at night alone. Take simple precautions.

If you are driving stick to the speed limits and make sure you have your triangles, vests, battery braced down, and all documents. One of the major problems with corruption is that so many people readily pay police, essentially given them incentive to hassle the next traveller.

Have a good trip

South Pacific
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

That is amazing advice and extremely helpful. Especially the visa info and the photocopying my visa and passport. I will really consider it now and have a word with the other half!

Chance favours a prepared mind :)

3 posts
7. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi my family and I would love to travel to mozambique this december,but we are going to maputo so is it safe for us to come?or maybe next year would be better?,really wana go visit maputo but my family is scared sayng we shouldn't risk our lives,what do you say?

3 posts
8. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi my family and I would love to travel to mozambique this december,but we are going to maputo so is it safe for us to come?or maybe next year would be better?,really wana go visit maputo but my family is scared sayng we shouldn't risk our lives,what do you say?

3 posts
9. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi my family and I would love to travel to mozambique this december,but we are going to maputo so is it safe for us to come?or maybe next year would be better?,really wana go visit maputo but my family is scared sayng we should risk our lives,what do you say?

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
32 reviews
28 helpful votes
10. Re: Safety in Mozambique
Save

Hi Amelia,

There is no risk in Maputo. The violence is all around Gorongosa in the centre of the country, a long long way from Maputo.

Check out this website that has daily updates on the security situation in Mozambique:

http://www.mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information/travel-safe-in-mozambique

© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.