We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

Please let me know if they are accredited by any travel organizations. They seem to operate out of a facebook site. If they are accredited I wish to contact such organizations. Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

With plenty of long established and well known travel agencies, like Cardboard Box, why you would try your luck with one operating out of the FB page?!

auckland
Level Contributor
681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

I absolutely agree with Xelas......... I had never heard of this company and even more alarmimg a google search reveals very little. Me, I like to know I have a physical address of any agency I use, on the ground, inthe country I am visiting...... that way, should there for any reason, be a reason to make contact, I know exactly where I can go and eyeball somebody and if necessary tap my not so dainty foot!!!!!!!!!!! I avoid using third parties wherever possible, it just doesn’t make sense to me. Namibia is a fabulous place I do hope you get to enjoy it.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 03:45
Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

Wilderness Safaris, a very reputable organization, requires booking through a third party. They said to use this Solaris Expeditions. They were terrible. The safari itself was wonderful and I recommend Wilderness Safaris, but beware of who they tell you to use as a third party and they will not do he bookings themselves. If I could find out with what organizations or associations this Solaris might be connected, I would write to them, I have written to Wilderness Safaris, to say they never should recommend this agent again, but I received no reply to date.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

Wilderness Safaris is a well know ecotourism operator, owner of several lodges (to my knowledge). Why would they need or even require a third party to book their lodges is beyond my ability to understand. Why would they chose one agent that not even has a web site, and is not well known, is even harder to understand.

About the only idea that comes to my mind is that the middle man person you have had contact with might get a commission from Solaris.

Anyway, would you be so kind and explain more about the actual problems you have had with Solaris, thus potential customers would be warned about perils.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 21:56
Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

Dear xelas:

Wilderness Safaris does require use of a third party -- why I cannot say, but even if you live in Namibia you have to book through an agent. Here is what I reported to Wilderness Safaris, which will give you an idea of the troubles.We took the desert Dunes Safari starting May 5 from Windhoek and returning May 14. The tour was wonderful... etc.[ I abbreviated this part]. Wilderness has a BIG problem when it puts people in touch with third party agents. The other couple in the 4x4 had almost not booked with Wilderness, because the agent Wilderness directed them to did not have adequate credentials when this client provided the information on that agent to a travel agent friend. This client spent close to a year researching the web until finding a couple who had used an agent in Florida. I wish I had done research on Solaris Expeditions, because they were terrible.

What Solaris provided was incomplete, inaccurate and in some cases deceptive. We compared notes with the other couple in the 4x4 and the information, the maps, the books and hats/duffles they received were great, but most importantly they received accurate and complete information from their booking agent. We did not. We were given a “boutique” luxury hotel (Galton House is not that – they received Olives). They were offered a balloon ride (we were not). Our itinerary omitted the transfer by air from Swakopmund. They received helpful tipping guidelines. We did not. But the worst of it were the notes that Mr. Chris Kean sent to Wilderness. They described my husband who had worked with this “gentleman” as a mumbling, cursing, hostile cranky person with slurred speech. These are quotes from the notes that were written in the folder that the guide passed around, so we would have a surface to write on. I am sure the guide did not intend for that paper to be face up in the plastic folder. But it does provide an indication of the character of Mr. Kean. Perhaps Mr. Kean does not have an immunodeficiency problem and need to wear oxygen.

I cannot find any credentials for Solaris Expeditions, but will be giving this to a travel agent colleague to determine what I think they are – a sleazy one person operation that pretends to be something bigger and better than he is. I strongly recommend that you do NOT recommend Solaris Expeditions to anyone again.

As I said, I have had no reply from Wilderness.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

That was unacceptable, the comments, whichever the reason for them might be! I have never used Wilderness Safaris, but if ever and my agent would treat me that unacceptable way, I would also be upmost unhappy to say it mildly. Thanks for sharing with us.

auckland
Level Contributor
681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?

I am still totally confused..... I say this with respect but the booking part/ third party still makes absolutely no sense. Again respectfully, did it not ring alarm bells when you couldn’t find much information about Solaris online? You could try getting in touch with the Namibian Tourism Board they are I believe, the regulatory body that is in charge of giving tour/ tourism companies accreditation and see if they can help further re Solaris. I would also continue to try to make contact with Wilderness safaris..... possibly through the Botswana forum (as a quick google search infers that is where they are based....)

Reply to: Who has worked with Solaris Expeditions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted