We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help

Hi there,

Arriving in Windhoek on Saturday and would love any recommendations for a rental car company and also itinerary for 16 days.

We’re keen for the south of Namibia - hiking (maybe Tokie Tokie trail for 3 days/2 nights), desert, dunes and some other activities, maybe Etosha and the skeleton coast. Then for Botswana our main interest is the Okavango delta... a river trip for a few days canoeing and camping and then potentially Victoria Falls.

Any trip ideas for an itinerary would be appreciated!

Also do many car companies allow you to drive one way and then pick up the car from the final destination eg pick up the car in Windhoek and drop it off in Zambia.

Thank you so much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
5 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help

Zoe, sorry if I will sound rude, but have you done any homework about the countries you are going to visit? I think no, as otherwise you will have your rental car already booked, and with it also the majority of accommodations along your planned itinerary.

One way rental is offered by only a few, largest companies. Bushlore is one that has office both in Windhoek and in Kasane. It will be quite expensive to drop off the car there.

Now, 16 days are few to cover Namibia from south to north. It is almost impossible to cover also Botswana. I have just seen an itinerary that will cover Botswana and Namibia, there are almost daily drives that will be between 400 - 500 km long. And those are darn long and tiresome drives on African roads.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help

Thank you very much for letting me know about one way hire - we’ve just ending a month self driving in Uganda and Rwanda and it’s very common here to pick up the car in one country and end in the other and just has a fee for collection.

We prefer to make up a plan as we go rather than stick to a rigid itinerary as we find we discover many more interesting places this way.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 22:22
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help

Then good luck with doing the same in Namibia. And when finishing with your drive, it will be most appreciated to read your comments. Many travellers have similar plans.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help

The problem is that most places in Namibia and Botswana book up almost 10months ahead. Same goes for vehicle hire. You will have a very hard time finding a vehicle to rent I suspect. It's possible you will get lucky, I never want to say never.

Namibia is huge and distances are far. If you want to do about 5 days in Botswana, that leaves you with about 10 days in Namibia. Arriving in WDH and grabbing car, first day is done. Next day down to Sossusvlei for 1 or 2 nights, then to Swakopmund for a day or two for activities, then Skeleton Coast and across to Etosha and across to Botswana with border crossing, all done in the remaining days...not a good idea at all.

I think it's too much ground for 16 days. Either skip Botswana or maybe Sossusvlei...

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Sossusvlei Lodge
Sossusvlei Lodge
892 Reviews
Sesriem, Namibia
Swakopmund
Swakopmund
Erongo Region, Namibia
Skeleton Coast Park
Skeleton Coast Park
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help

Thanks so much for your help! We have been on safari for 3 weeks in Uganda so maybe we’ll skip skeleton coast and Etosha as have done a lot of animals... especially if we’re doing the Okavango delta.

Had no idea it booked out so far in advance- hopefully we’ll be ok!! Not used to traveling on a fixed itinerary and assumed as it was shoulder season we’d be ok for booking when we arrived!!

Will let you know how we get on!

Zoe x

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Reply to: Namibia, Botswana, Zambia - rental car + itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted